Making peace with femininity

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Re: Making peace with femininity

Post by David Quinn »

Ataraxia wrote:
Unidian wrote:
... I resigned because I've decided over the years that I have no interest in religion of any kind, and due to the realization that saying "Nature is God" is the same as saying "mu."
Wise decision in my view.

And yet, funnily enough, "mu" is a religious word.

Unidian's words don't have any meaning here, really. If a person uses "mu" to mean the same as "Nature is God", then that is his prerogative. It's his own creation. It doesn't have any wider implications than that.

In any case, it is a odd thing to resign from a pantheist society on the grounds of rejecting religion and deciding to associate Nature with a religious word like "mu".

Ataraxia wrote:
Arguments over 'who knows the REAL Tao' always remind me of a favorutie bit from 'Beyond Good and Evil.'

Do you want to live “according to nature”? O you noble Stoics, what a verbal swindle! Imagine a being like nature — extravagant without limit, indifferent without limit, without purposes and consideration, without pity and justice, simultaneously fruitful, desolate, and unknown — imagine this indifference itself as a power — how could you live in accordance with this indifference?* Living — isn’t that precisely a will to be something different from what this nature is? Isn’t living appraising, preferring, being unjust, being limited, wanting to be different? And if your imperative “live according to nature” basically means what amounts to “live according to life” — why can you not just do that? Why make a principle out of what you yourselves are and must be?

— The truth of the matter is quite different: while you pretend to be in raptures as you read the canon of your law out of nature, you want something which is the reverse of this, you weird actors and self-deceivers! Your pride wants to prescribe to and incorporate into nature, this very nature, your morality, your ideal. You demand that nature be “in accordance with the stoa,” and you’d like to make all existence merely living in accordance with your own image of it — as a huge and eternal glorification and universalizing of stoicism! With all your love of truth, you have forced yourselves for such a long time and with such persistence and hypnotic rigidity to look at nature falsely, that is, stoically, until you’re no long capable of seeing nature as anything else — and some abysmal arrogance finally inspires you with the lunatic hope that, because you know how to tyrannize over yourselves — Stoicism is self-tyranny — nature also allows herself to be tyrannized. Is the Stoic then not a part of nature? . . . .

But this is an ancient eternal story: what happened then with the Stoics is still happening today, as soon as a philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates a world in its own image....
Who is he talking about, I wonder? He is certainly not referring to wise folk.

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan wrote, '...you and Robert both know such rules would be a joke to David anyway. Therefore, posting them was simply brainless.'

The Ten Rules For Bodhisattvas are:

1. not to kill
2. not to steal
3. not to commit adultery
4. not to tell lies
5. not to use harsh words
6. not to utter words causing enmity between people
7. not to engage in idle talk
8. not to be greedy
9. not to be angry
10 not to have wrong views

Does David subscribe to any ethical code at all? Which of those ten rather obvious matters of ethics is David beyond? Which is he not beyond?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Mu means mu, David, so take your conceptual paws off me before I call the police.

It means "beyond the ability of language to express meaningfully." It points to ineffability.
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

RobertGreenSky wrote:Dan wrote: 'As an aide, given the sorts of insults that posters at Olio hurl around at people I think it utterly comical for Robert to be writing like he currently is.'

An obvious joke is not a libel is it Dan? Do you consider quibbling an honest activity?
Anyone who thinks the material posted at Olio is merely humour is deeply disturbed. And your complaints go beyond libel (which is itself side-splittingly hilarious anyway).

See, talking to you just got me killed; now I have to rob that rich toff all over again.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:I am beyond the ethical "rules" of others - which are necessarily of a mindless religious nature when expressed as rules for others. Get it?

Anyway, I'm about to be killed for robbing someone in Thief 3 so work it out for yourself or give me a cheat code that makes me invisible.
Dan, are you trying to say that you are free to violate any or all of the ten rather obvious ethical guidelines expressed in the Ten Rules for Bodhisattvas? You are not obligated to see them as rules, and even if it is a 'Rule', are you then free to kill? Come on, Dan, it's time to stop quibbling.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:
RobertGreenSky wrote:Dan wrote: 'As an aide, given the sorts of insults that posters at Olio hurl around at people I think it utterly comical for Robert to be writing like he currently is.'

An obvious joke is not a libel is it Dan? Do you consider quibbling an honest activity?
Anyone who thinks the material posted at Olio is merely humour is deeply disturbed. And your complaints go beyond libel (which is itself side-splittingly hilarious anyway).

See, talking to you just got me killed; now I have to rob that rich toff all over again.
'Deeply disturbed?' Can you prove that up for us as a matter of reason or is it more of the same? Humour is not libel and you know the difference, Dan.

Are my complaints here beyond libelous? What do you mean, 'beyond libel'? That seems like a serious charge but there is not an iota of substantiation accompanying it. Does that strike you as the tactic of an honest man?
Last edited by RobertGreenSky on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Unidian wrote:
Phrases like "entire world becomes a death threat", "in order to cope with this psychological fact", and striving to "become more comfortable" certainly smack of fear and distrust of Nature to me...

Again, phrases like "entire world becomes a death threat", "in order to cope with this psychological fact", and striving to "become more comfortable" indicate otherwise.

Your depiction of "Nature as it is" comes from your ego's perspective which is concerned with its own well-being. It's a law of the jungle mentality. An animal's perspective. It has nothing to do with Taoism.

Nature is your very own self. So what is there to be threatened by? What is there to cope with?
Yeah, I know, which is why I don't fear Nature. You accused me of having such a fear, and I don't. I got rid of it, at least consciously, through a process of becoming at home in the world by realizing that Nature (or "mu") is not other than what I am.

So why did you write that "Zen and Taoism are simply about altering our viewpoint in order to cope with this psychological fact and become more comfortable with an inherently irrational (or trans-rational) world"?

Abandoning the ego and seeing Nature as your self is very different to perceiving Nature as a death threat and trying to cope with this perception. Are you now disowning what you wrote above?

At bottom, the ego is primarily a subconscious phenomena. The fanciful intellectual baubles and conceits we toy with consciously mean little to the vast iceberg of the subconscious, which forces each of us to make a choice when confronted by the irrationality and absurdity of existence. Either we will escape in some cave of religious concepts, or we will learn to swim in the nameless ocean, with no one to throw us a rope. If we do neither, we will drown.
Alas, that toilet brush won't save you either.

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

The tactics employed here by Dan Rowden are likely not characteristic of an enlightened individual. Would the Buddha, Laozi, or Jesus falsely characterize arguments? Would they quibble, i.e., fail to answer what is actually presented to them? Would they walk away from ethical responsibility to go play a game no matter how dandy it was?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Unidian wrote:Mu means mu, David, so take your conceptual paws off me before I call the police.

It means "beyond the ability of language to express meaningfully." It points to ineffability.
You did say that it means "Nature is God", which is a conceptual understanding.

I can only go by the words you write, but it makes it hard when you are chopping and changing your views with every single post.

-
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

RobertGreenSky wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:I am beyond the ethical "rules" of others - which are necessarily of a mindless religious nature when expressed as rules for others. Get it?

Anyway, I'm about to be killed for robbing someone in Thief 3 so work it out for yourself or give me a cheat code that makes me invisible.
Dan, are you trying to say that you are free to violate any or all of the ten rather obvious ethical guidelines expressed in the Ten Rules for Bodhisattvas? You are not obligated to see them as rules, and even if it is a 'Rule', are you then free to kill? Come on, Dan, it's time to stop quibbling.
Oh, go and play the religious freak elsewhere. Those rules are even worse than the 10 Commandments in terms of their lack of context and general neblosity.

A Bodhisattva doesn't need ethical rules; his actions are ethical by default.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

David,

Will you be apologizing for libeling me anytime soon? Alternatively, will you be proving up those four year old claims so that they are no longer libels, anytime soon?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Anyone who thinks the material posted at Olio is merely humour is deeply disturbed.
It is merely humor, although humor is not always fun for everyone involved. For example, the GED (an Olio production) is undeniably funny although also arguably cruel in some respects. During a falling out a while back, I worried that a page might be made for me, which would not have been enjoyable from my perspective, even though I guarantee you it would have been a very funny page. I saw a preliminary image or two and had to laugh in spite of myself.

Humor is never an entirely bloodless business. Even the most innocent of it is indirectly at someone's expense, even if that "someone" is just a silly kitten or the like. Humor involving human beings is always at the expense of other human beings, because humor invariably involves pointing out ironies and highlighting discrepancies between the way things are presented or conceived of and the way they really are.

Incidentally, I think this is also why humor is so prevalent in Zen and Taoism, which are concerened with precisely that.
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

RobertGreenSky wrote:'Deeply disturbed?' Can you prove that up for us as a matter of reason or is it more of the same? Humour is not libel and you know the difference, Dan.
Nice strawman. I didn't juxtapose humour and libel at any point. You said the stuff posted at Olio was in the form of a joke. I'm saying that is bullshit and that in my opinion it is disturbed. Jokes can be disturbed in case you weren't aware of it.
Are my complaints here beyond libelous? What do you mean, 'beyond libel'? That seems like a serious charge but there is not an iota of substantiation accompanying it. Does that strike you as the tactic of an honest man?
It means you've complained about behaviour other than libel. What I'm implying is the existence of double standards and hypocrisy (note: both things at least indicate the presence of standards so it's not all bad).
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:
RobertGreenSky wrote:

Oh, go and play the religious freak elsewhere. Those rules are even worse than the 10 Commandments in terms of their lack of context and general neblosity.

A Bodhisattva doesn't need ethical rules; his actions are ethical by default.
I have rarely seen a more evasive response! Dan, you are a masterpiece! Are you free to kill or not, Rowden? Are you free to lie or not? You can't answer! You're so thoroughly undone you cannot even answer whether you're obligated as a self-proclaimed enlightened man to be honest! If you're not obligated to be honest, Dan, why should your claim of enlightenment be taken to have been an honest claim? Jesus Christ, Dan, you are fucking amazing!

You have actually written that David Quinn's libel of another human being is ethical by default! Would David Quinn's murder of another human being be ethical by default?
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:
RobertGreenSky wrote:'Deeply disturbed?' Can you prove that up for us as a matter of reason or is it more of the same? Humour is not libel and you know the difference, Dan.
Nice strawman. I didn't juxtapose humour and libel at any point. You said the stuff posted at Olio was in the form of a joke. I'm saying that is bullshit and that in my opinion it is disturbed. Jokes can be disturbed in case you weren't aware of it.
It means you've complained about behaviour other than libel. What I'm implying is the existence of double standards and hypocrisy (note: both things at least indicate the presence of standards so it's not all bad).
You labeled it 'disturbed' but you can't be bothered to tell us why that is. That's a cheap dishonest tactic. If you can't reasonably prove up the claim then you shouldn't be making it, should you?

'It means you've complained about behaviour other than libel.' Oh that's what it meant.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

RobertGreenSky wrote:David,

Will you be apologizing for libeling me anytime soon? Alternatively, will you be proving up those four year old claims so that they are no longer libels, anytime soon?
I'm not really interested, Robert. People can read the debate for themselves and the associated thread on Ponderer's Guild/Common Ascent, assuming it still exists, and make up their own minds. I've already laid out my reasonings there.

-
Laird

Post by Laird »

spelnxpert wrote:Ok, I read it Laird, now let's hope Sue is inclined to explain why your picture of reality is less true or ultimate than her own. Isn't this the same as asking her to prove why her picture or description is ultimately true. Isn' it her position that she knows it's true b/c once you experience it for yourself there's no possibility of doubt remaining? Perhaps you (Laird) don't believe Sue has had this experience, and that she is simply parroting philosophy. I can't see how anyone could prove to you (or explain successfully w/o you experiencing it yourself) either that their picture is true or that they know from experience.
So this question you put to her- Why not separate instead of connected- I can't see what she could say to satisfy you. If you can, give her a clue.
Well, Sue's understanding is an intellectual one. One would hope that this intellectual understanding can be conveyed in words. So my "clue" to her is: spell it out in as much detail as you can, possibly using the same example that I did (the cupboard) to explain your position.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

RobertGreenSky wrote:I have rarely seen a more evasive response!
You don't read your own posts? Don't blame you.
Dan, you are a masterpiece! Are you free to kill or not, Rowden?
Yes, if I see fit.
Are you free to lie or not?
Yes, if I see fit.
You can't answer!
Yes, if I see fit.
You're so thoroughly undone you cannot even answer whether you're obligated as a self-proclaimed enlightened man to be honest!
Yes, if I see fit.
If you're not obligated to be honest, Dan, why should your claim of enlightenment be taken to have been an honest claim? Jesus Christ, Dan, you are fucking amazing!
Yes, if I see fit.
You have actually written that David Quinn's libel of another human being is ethical by default! Would David Quinn's murder of another human being be ethical by default?
It wouldn't be murder, by default. (damn, I was looking for a clean sweep and you robbed me).

What a freak show you are, Robert. Seriously. Is there a show somewhere that one can buy tickets to?
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

David Quinn wrote:

I'm not really interested, Robert. People can read the debate for themselves and the associated thread on Ponderer's Guild/Common Ascent, assuming it still exists, and make up their own minds. I've already laid out my reasonings there.

-
Sir, you laid out no reasoning in that debate how I could be rationally compared to Adolf Hitler. You have libeled me and you are sidestepping ethical responsibility for having done so. I suggest you suffered a failure of character four years ago and that you are suffering another failure of character now. I submit that this ongoing failure of character is reasonable evidence you are no enlightened individual.

Do you claim to be beyond ethical responsibility? Are you free to libel individuals as you see fit? Are you free to physically wound and murder individuals?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

RobertGreenSky wrote:
David Quinn wrote:

-
Sir, you laid out no reasoning in that debate how I could be rationally compared to Adolf Hitler. You have libeled me and you are sidestepping ethical responsibility for having done so. I suggest you suffered a failure of character four years ago and that you are suffering another failure of character now. I submit that this ongoing failure of character is reasonable evidence you are no enlightened individual.

Fair enough.

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Thanks, Dan. You are not an enlightened individual. I bet you knew I was going to write that.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

David,
You did say that it means "Nature is God", which is a conceptual understanding.
I meant that it serves the same function, not that it has the same meaning. To clarify, both statements have the same level of meaningful content - none. To say "mu" and to say "Nature is God" are equivalent statements in this sense because both say nothing meaningful.
I can only go by the words you write, but it makes it hard when you are chopping and changing your views with every single post.
I'm not doing any such thing. Your apparent refusal to actually look at what I'm saying is what is causing that perception. Had you been paying attention to my other 4 million posts on this whole "mu" topic, it would have been immediately apparent what I was getting at.
I live in a tub.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

David: 'Fair enough.'

Indeedy.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

My appreciation to Messrs. Quinn and Rowden for allowing me to joust with them.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

David Quinn wrote:[Who is he talking about, I wonder? He is certainly not referring to wise folk.

-
Meh,Fred saw everyone as unwise over some point.Not least of all Jeebus.

I'm sure you've read the 'anti-christ'.Not the authentic Nieztsche?