Personality Disorders

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Nick

Personality Disorders

Post by Nick »

Here is an article about how "mentally healthy people" depend on delusions in order to feed their egos, and that it is people with mental/personality disorders who are actually more in touch with reality. I'm going to have to look up a little bit more about the psycholgists who actually published the original article. Damn interesting stuff indeed.
Cory Duchesne

Re: Personality Disorders

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Reminds me of the concept depressive realism. There's some truth to it.

But as the material says, just because there are depressed people who see the world more realistically (depression is often the effect of realistic perception), doesn't imply that all non-depressed persons are delusional. Also, depressed individuals can be unrealistically negative. This is pretty obvious of course.

Likewise, there are people diagnosed with personality disorders who host exceptionally irrational character traits.
Boyan

Post by Boyan »

''In 1988, psychologists Shelly Taylor and Jonathon Brown published an article making the somewhat disturbing claim that positive self-deception is a normal and beneficial part of most people’s everyday outlook.''

Well, Celia Green's Human evasion is basically about this. How sane people are in voluntary delusion most of the time. And she explained it brilliantly indeed. Yes, most people can't stand greater awareness, they need to have delusions in their lives in order to function.

I started a thread related to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3686
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

"The notion that we routinely hide from the truth about ourselves and our world is not an appealing one, though it may help to explain the human tendency to ostracize the abnormal. Perhaps the reason we are so eager to reject any departure from this fiction we call "normality" is because we have grown dependent on our comfortable delusions; without them, there is nothing to insulate us from the harsh cold of reality."
Is reality harsh and cold? That may be some people's reality, but is it less delusional because science happens to be harsh and cold? Since when does science care about truth or wisdom?
eliasforum.org/digests.html
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

Boyan wrote:Well, Celia Green's Human evasion is basically about this. How sane people are in voluntary delusion most of the time. And she explained it brilliantly indeed. Yes, most people can't stand greater awareness, they need to have delusions in their lives in order to function.
All people, actually. What do you think this cult-philosophy of yours is, other than a different level of delusion?
Boyan

Post by Boyan »

What cult philosophy of mine? I have no philosophy. The philosophy of QRS is much more truthful than the philosophies of many of philosophy's great names, not to mention being more truthful than the lives of the majority.
All people, actually. What do you think this cult-philosophy of yours is, other than a different level of delusion?
And what do you think what you just said is, other than a different level of delusion?