Balance

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
DHodges

You think too much

Post by DHodges »

David Quinn wrote:Here is a psychologist's report from the same period: part one, part two, part three, and part four.
Wow. You think too much. Other people have even told you that you think too much, but you just carry on as if thinking were not a mental illness. You think so hard, and so abstractly, you can't even work!

I'm sure they've never seen another case like it. Bizarre.
Nordicvs

Re: You think too much

Post by Nordicvs »

DHodges wrote: Wow. You think too much.
And you don't think at all. It's okay, sweetie. Run along now and get some cookies. Men are talking.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ryan wrote:
DQ: So there is a chance that I might get [dementia] one day.

Ryan: Hey Quinn, if the doctors diagnosed you with dementia, and stated that your mind was slowly deteriorating, would you commit suicide while you were still clear-minded or would you allow the disease to kill you?

It's too hypothetical to answer at this stage. It would depend on what else was happening.

For example, if I thought that I was still doing some good, still serving the cause of wisdom effectively, then I might think to keep going as long as I can and leave it up to others to deal with me as they see fit.

-
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Correct me if I'm incorrect, but I think DHodges was being facetious, Nordicvs.
Maybe I'm unable to see that you are being facetious too, Nordicvs.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Bryan McGilly wrote: Maybe I'm unable to see that you are being facetious too, Nordicvs.
It's possible.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nordicvs wrote:
Bryan McGilly wrote: Maybe I'm unable to see that you are being facetious too, Nordicvs.
It's possible.
HAHA!
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Bryan McGilly wrote:Correct me if I'm incorrect, but I think DHodges was being facetious, Nordicvs.
Yes, I thought that was obvious.
DHodges

Emotions vs thought

Post by DHodges »

The parts of the psychoanalyst's report I found especially interesting was this (my emphasis):
David's withdrawal from all sporting activities at around the age of 20 which he had previously enjoyed, coinciding with his emerging interest in philosophical issues together with his experimentation with drugs are suggestive of an underlying psychotic process.
I've never seen it stated so baldly before: if you are more interested in philosophy than sports, you are probably insane.

She also commented that
His manner, however, including his posture, was wooden and he lacked emotional expression. He displayed a pervasive tendancy to intellectualise...
Compare this with this bit from Wikipedia:
Blunted affect is the scientific term describing a lack of emotional reactivity on the part of an individual. The precise boundary between the generally positive personality trait "serious" and the generally pathological "blunted affect" is impossible to describe precisely because it is culture specific and relies on subjective values.
One final consideration worth noting is that adults generally display less affect than children. This suggests blunting one's affect may be a normal part of maturation.
I suggest that the psychoanalyst in question was merely mis-interpreting David because she was not treating him as an adult.

This could be a matter of context. She was looking for a problem, and most of the people she sees have problems. I think she was mis-interpreting as pathological what could be described as emotional maturity, from another perspective.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Well, he was after all applying for disability, so it was probably only natural for her to assume that he had one.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I assume that what is meant by using the word balance in the context of this thread is moderation. While I agree moderation is good for things such as eating, sleeping, drinking, and working, I can't do anything but scoff at the notion of too much thinking. While a pace to one's thinking can be beneficial, it is asbolutely pointless to think only to a point of moderation. Usually people might say one thinks too much when the things that most people do start to seem insane, meaningless, or just plain evil. This realization might cause someone a great deal of stress upon discovering these things, but this is where pace comes in, NOT moderation. For this is actually the first step in liberating one's self from the ignorance which has clouded their thoughts up to this point.

To stop thinking now for the sake of moderation, is purely and simply idiotic and irresponsible. Usually one's motives for stoping their thinking at this point may be cowardice for fear of being labeled as an outcast and not being accepted by their family and friends. Or confusion and the pain of knowing that every around them is full of shit is too much to bare. Or they simply can't give the proper time and effort required because of their other obligations to family, children, and religious or scientific beliefs.

It seems moderation is everyone's favorite word as when seeking to preserve their ignorant bliss. The fact is, if NASA's attempts to land on the moon were done in moderation it wouldn't have happened. If doctor's attempts at creating new cures for diseases and ailments was done in moderation we would dying off by the millions from the commond cold and other common infections. And if all the thinkers and philosophers of the world only thought in moderation, we would all be as ignorant and naive as we were as children.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Matt Gregory wrote:Well, he was after all applying for disability, so it was probably only natural for her to assume that he had one.
There was a study done recently where several completely healthy people went to a mental hospital claiming to hear voices saying "thud." Once admitted they began acting completly normal again, and it took ridiculously long times - several months in one case - for them to be released. And not a single case was recognized as misdiagnosis; they were all released with "in remission"
-Katy
mystex

Re: Balance

Post by mystex »

Balance? Sure, but that depends what you mean. I'd rather subscribe to this: hitting the breaking point - no further! :P