Deconstructing the Feminine

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
AlyOshA

Post by AlyOshA »

Yeah who cares about Wu Bong. The only reason I quoted him was because I wanted to find something about mixing hot water and cold water then drinking it (which I still can’t figure out). But Thomas Cleary (who I consider the greatest English language scholar of Buddhism, Taoism, and Confuscism) wrote an entire book quoting Buddhist texts, Taoism and Confuscism entitled “The Book of Balance and Harmony”. It's a pretty good book.

Here is a quote:
"Balance and harmony are the four directions centered on reality; in action all is balanced. The Record of Rites says, “ when emotions have not yet emerged, that is called balance, when they are active yet all in proportion, that is called harmony.” Not having emerged means being careful on attention in the midst of calm stability; therefore it is called balance. Kept in attention yet immaterial, it is therefore called the root of the world. Proportion in action means being careful of what is manifested in action; therefore it is called harmony. Balanced in all actions, it is called arrival at the Way for the world.
Truly if one can be balanced harmonious in oneself, then the being which is fundabmentally so is clear and aware, awake in quietude, accurate in actions; thus one can respond to the endless changes in the world.
Lao-Tzu said, “If people can be clear and calm, heaven and earth will come to them.” This means the same thing as the saying, “Effect balance and harmony, and heaven and earth are in place, myriad beings grow.”
Balance and harmony are the subtle functions of sensitive efficiency, the essential workings of response to change, the totality of the cyclic movement and stillness of the flow of production and growth spoken of in the I Ching.”

And so on and so goes the rest of the book. Balance is a rudimentary concept in Lao Tzu’s and Chuang Tzu's works. The very symbol of Taoism is a ying yang. What do you consider a ying yang to symbolize if not balance? And what of Buddha’s words in the Dhammapada about stillness?[/quote]
lost child
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

AlyOshA,

"Balance"?

Does your thinking lay along the lines of maintaining a middling existence: being neither too much one way or the other way?

Well, as far as living in accordance with truth is concerned, there is no such thing as maintaining a 'middling' approach. If you aren't living fully in truth, lies (delusions) are still present. And no one that valued truth could ever be satisfied to live a life based on a few bits of it, with falsehoods making up the rest of their lives. For them, it is an either/or situation. They will not be satisfied until they are in complete harmony with truth.

But I suppose living a middling existence is perfectly fine for most people - especially when most people are neither interested in understanding existence, nor doing anything important with their lives.

-
Sue
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Nordicvs wrote:
I did something like this a while back (minus the visual aids), but it was spiteful (semi-humourous) and way too nasty.
As a first step, deconstructing the feminine is extremely useful for loosening man's attachment to her. Next, is looking at the emotions that cause man to crave her acceptance of him. It is these emotions that often block his philosophical progress by undermining his ability to reason and use logic.

You wrote, Nordicvs, that your work was, "way too nasty". Was that because you wrote falsities about her? Or did you feel that you'd not been even-handed in your appraisal of her?

(Is the work you are referring to on this forum?)

-Sue
AlyOshA

Post by AlyOshA »

Come on Sue, who advocates a life of mediocrity? Really? Buddha’s “The Middle Way” is far from middling. Lies will always be present, no matter how hard you strive for truth – that is the way of the world (existence itself is a lie). Sometimes lies even have value, strategically or otherwise. What is most important is intent and how you focus that intent, how you use that intent to achieve an awakening in ultimate consciousness. My intent (in this situation) is to help distinguish between opinions and truth on the subject of femininity. You are deluding yourself if you think that femininity is inferior to masculinity, you are deluding yourself if you think that a women cannot experience stillness/clarity of mind or enlightenment, you are deluding yourself if you think that femininity/passivity/ yielding/ receptivity are not crucial in the pursuit of ultimate truths and in the benefit of progressive thought and progressive actions. I already stated that I am not lukewarm but I refuse to choose between two necessary elements like hot and cold (or ying and yang). If you can’t catch my drift then I am wasting my breath.
lost child
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

Sue,
Understanding how these emotions undermine man's ability to reason and use logic, is necessary for further philosophical growth.
It would seem that philosophical growth occurs most drastically in those who refuse to stop questioning that which they think they know. A love for the ladies (or the fellas) seems more-or-less inconsequential.

"My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me." -Winston Churchill
AlyOshA

Post by AlyOshA »

An article like this does not help someone overcome sexual delusion. This article is replacing one delusion for another. Men searching for truth fear temptation and therefore blame the source (women) but I think that if they saw the reality behind the temptation (as in a valuable human being as opposed to the premonition of sagging breasts and bad breath) the reality behind their own will for that temptation, they would better their chances in the pursuit of truth. Instead of fighting against nature, we would be better to learn how to shape or guide nature for our betterment, using all of the tools that are given to us.
lost child
AlyOshA

Post by AlyOshA »

Footnote: Galileo lied for the continuation of truth (by choosing life he could continue writing). If Martin Luther King had not lied for the strategic continuation of truth (although he was a reverend he was not a Christian) then he wouldn’t of made the impact that he made.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/king.htm

This article was written by a conservative African American.
lost child
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Sue Hindmarsh wrote: As a first step, "deconstructing the feminine" is extremely useful in loosening man's attachment to her. Another step is looking deeper into man's emotional need to be accepted by her. Understanding how these emotions undermine man's ability to reason and use logic, is necessary for further philosophical growth.
I'd gotten into the psychological attachment stuff many years ago, when I began questioning the sanity in continuing the pursuit of a "relationship" with those I was most attracted to physically. I repeated it because for a time appearance was irrelevant---I got involved with a few women who weren't socially appealing, trying to see some sort of "inner beauty," which I found was all pretense; they hadn't any admirable traits either, not even two brain cells to rub together.

So, I went back to "pretty ones," still feeling that boyhood need for approval from some female. Then I went out with a model for a while, and while my friends considered me "lucky," I began to devalue her looks, and what I was left with was quite hideous; she was an intellectual two-year-old and really, really disgusting as a human being. (But despite her continual and very aggressive sexual advances, and the fact that I hadn't had sex for over two years, I managed to resist her completely. That was a great test.)
Sue Hindmarsh wrote: You wrote, Nordicvs, that your work on this subject was "way too nasty". Did you think that was the case because what you wrote about her wasn't true, or did you feel that you hadn't been fair minded - or something like that?
Well, first, it was after an ill-minded attempt last year to test myself (I wanted to give "sport-fucking" a try because for nearly a decade I was so-called "too serious" about relationships, and I certainly had been); I got it on with my friend's cousin, and tried to have just a fling, no games, everything out in the open, and that led to games and eventually her saying I'd gotten her pregnant (after we split ways). Not sure why she did it, yanking my chain, I guess.

So, the fear of being roped into paying child support and such (she strung me along for a weekend and then told me the truth), well, I was in a bitter mood for a while. Second, it was near or on Halloween of last year, so it was along that theme. Third, I'd been getting shit at the time for being a "misogynist;" rather the confusion over it (hating the feminine, which I do, instead of "hating all female humans," which I do not). Anyway, that got annoying and I grew weary of defending and explaining myself.

At the time, I felt it was "too nasty," but I haven't read it for a while, so it could have been merely the context, the mood I was in at the time.
Sue Hindmarsh wrote: (Is the work you are referring to on this forum?)
-
Sue
No, it's not. It was just a general piece about female beauty---called "A Critique of the Female Body"---and not what I'd consider serious writing (hence being in my 'gibberish' section), ripe with sarcasm, being intentionally defensive and immature, and it was a general release of built-up annoyance.

Check it out if you want.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Expectantly Ironic wrote:
It would seem that philosophical growth occurs most drastically in those who refuse to stop questioning that which they think they know. A love for the ladies (or the fellas) seems more-or-less inconsequential.
This is a very naive outlook, of course. Nothing on this earth has greater consequences than forming emotional relationships with people. They can literally change (and even destroy) your life forever - assuming that you have a life to begin with.

I think your naivity in this area is mainly due to your limited conception of philosophy. If a person's conception of philosophy simply means reading textbooks and speculating about things in an academic fashion, then yes, forming emotional relationships is inconsequential. It makes no difference whether you fall in love or not.

However, if your conception of philosophy means the infinitely greater task of comprehending Reality and becoming perfectly truthful on all levels, then everything suddenly changes. Every choice before you is pregnant with possibilities and consequences. Flippantly dismissing a massive human attachment like love as "being of no consequence" is the last thing you would do.

I really have to laugh at the sheer contradiction of your two statement above, involving in particular your lack of questioning of love and relationships. It is pure comedy. But this is what happens when one confines the art of philosophizing to mere textbook theorizing. One unwittingly becomes a comedian.

-
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Nordicvs wrote:Check it out if you want.
This is exactly the type of thing I think of when I think of a woman, the stench, the housing of the babies so her body is more like a garage than a work of art, etc. Well done.

I was reading these tales about someone who worked in a tattoo parlor and this one time some skank came in who wanted her pussy pierced, but she had a really runny yeast infection that he was trying to mop up in order to see what he was doing. That was the most disgusting story I've ever read.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Matt Gregory wrote:That was the most disgusting story I've ever read.
Guys can get some nasty stuff too.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

AlyOshA wrote:
Come on Sue, who advocates a life of mediocrity?
A better question is, “Who doesn’t advocate a life of mediocrity?”

Love and marriage rule! With the exception of a few people who value wisdom, all the other people on this planet are giving over their lives to this pursuit. Everyone from Catholic priests who preach it, to the bum on the street who dreams of it. And the hilarious thing is that people rave about the majesty of love and marriage, and speak about it as something precious and unique – yet they are all involved in it!
Really?
Yes.
Buddha’s “The Middle Way” is far from middling.
If you are in the middle of doing something, you have yet to complete the job.
Lies will always be present, no matter how hard you strive for truth – that is the way of the world (existence itself is a lie).
Yes, that is the sentiment much preferred by mediocre minded people. They like meandering about in a muddy muddle. But, of course, it serves them well, for by fostering more lies, they are free to wallow in the lie they call their life.
Sometimes lies even have value, strategically or otherwise.
Yes, but holding on to falsehoods to feather your own nest is down right evil.
What is most important is intent and how you focus that intent, how you use that intent to achieve an awakening in ultimate consciousness.
Yes, the way to hell is paved with good intentions.
My intent (in this situation) is to help distinguish between opinions and truth on the subject of femininity.
By not understanding the deep consequences of the feminine, you leave yourself open to be influenced by all types of insane opinions.
You are deluding yourself if you think that femininity is inferior to masculinity, you are deluding yourself if you think that a women cannot experience stillness/clarity of mind or enlightenment, you are deluding yourself if you think that femininity/passivity/ yielding/ receptivity are not crucial in the pursuit of ultimate truths and in the benefit of progressive thought and progressive actions.
It depends on what you value. I’d be all for the equality of the sexes, women sages, and feminine values if I was a lily-livid moron who valued living a life based on 100% lies. But that isn’t the case. I just happen to value truth. Therefore, not only do I know that the feminine is inferior to the masculine as far as wisdom is concerned, but I’m also doing all that I can to completely eradicated her. And as far as women sages are concerned - well, I’m the only female thinker I know of, and I’ve only wetted my toes. So the jury is still out on the possibility of a Female Sage. And your thinking on what is “crucial in the pursuit of ultimate truths” is rendered useless because of your attachment to the feminine.
I already stated that I am not lukewarm but I refuse to choose between two necessary elements like hot and cold (or ying and yang). If you can’t catch my drift then I am wasting my breath.
When considering the role of the feminine in the getting of wisdom, a quote of Sherlock Holmes comes to mind:

Watson: “But the dog did nothing in the night time!
Holmes: That is the curious incident!”

The year is now 2007. Women and men have more freedoms and opportunities than they ever did before. Women, especially, now have no excuse for not making real changes to their own lives and to society as a whole. But do they? No, they continue to do nothing. They just fall back on the old excuses: such as, male-dominated society continues to stand in their way. Even here on this forum, women of both sexes cry foul about the holding high of the masculine. But, of course, it is no mystery as to why they do this, as their superficiality and mindlessness prevents them from seeing that they are superficial and mindless. At bottom, Woman cannot be anything more than what she is – for if she could be, she wouldn’t be Woman.

-
Sue
Elizabeth Isabelle

Sue Hindmarsh wrote:And as far as women sages are concerned - well, I’m the only female thinker I know of, and I’ve only wetted my toes. So the jury is still out on the possibility of a Female Sage.
Well, at least you are aware that you have wetted yourself, so I guess that's some awareness for you. Perhaps if you open your eyes, you will gain more awareness than whether or not you're wet.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Nordicvs wrote:
...eventually her saying I'd gotten her pregnant (after we split ways). Not sure why she did it, yanking my chain, I guess.
I wonder how frequent such a heartless tactic is utilized. Out of the three "serious" relationships I'd had, my first love pulled something like this. After my first time having sex, which was with her, was followed by a bout of silence lasting two weeks after I had spent a week with her away at her school. She claimed that she thought she was pregnant and didn't want to tell me because she didn't want to pressure me, or make me feel guilty. I suspected a lie from her (she was the first chronic liar I have ever known intimately).

My third and last "serious" relationship involved a psychotic chick who laid claim to miscarrying while showering, even claiming to have seen a small fleshy lump (the fetus/embryo), caught in the shower drain. This really tore me up, but what did so even more was when, in my willing ignorance, I had to ask medical authorities if it was possible to have a miscarriage two weeks after her period, which was not only near impossible, but such that the passing or a miscarriage at such an early stage would be impossible to be noticed.

With two out of three, I wouldn't be surprised if these atrocious mind-fuck strategies come into regular plays for beguiling women. Depending on the magical mystery and their male's ignorance of the processes of biology, a woman can get a carte blanch by laying such immense guilt on her man.

I wonder, has anyone else here encountered similar situations, and have any of the women here pulled this on a significant other?

note: edited word structure
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Well, at least you are aware that you have wetted yourself, so I guess that's some awareness for you. Perhaps if you open your eyes, you will gain more awareness than whether or not you're wet.
How pretentious of you, why don't you tell us about world peace, something your profess to know so much about? You don't deserve to speak to Sue's understanding, thus adding hilarity to your antagonism.

note: edited by adding a sentence.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:I wonder, has anyone else here encountered similar situations, and have any of the women here pulled this on a significant other?
No, and I wonder what in your psychology is attracting you to the kind of female who is like that. Of course also, the kind of female who would say such a thing is possibly also the hysterical sort - I've met a lot of those - who might actually think that's what happened. A period isn't just blood, it is also the lining of the uterus - which can have a variety of appearances that can look like darned near anything, especially to someone paranoid that she might have gotten pregnant.

One roommate once insisted that she had a miscarriage and that it was my fault because I caused her stress - yet she did not go to the doctor for it, and supposedly did not know she was pregnant until she "miscarried" as her period wasn't "really" late. I knew it was impossible, but it was enough to get her husband and all of our friends mad at me for stressing her out so badly - and of course no one believed me or would look it up for themselves because "obviously" I was "not owning up to (my) responsibility." She was a very book-smart woman, but highly illogical.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Well, at least you are aware that you have wetted yourself, so I guess that's some awareness for you. Perhaps if you open your eyes, you will gain more awareness than whether or not you're wet.
How pretentious of you, why don't you tell us about world peace, something your profess to know so much about? You don't deserve to speak to Sue's understanding, thus adding hilarity to your antagonism.
Sue claimed to be the "only female thinker" she knew of. If Sue were a male and claimed that she knew of no females who could think as well as she could, would you blame me for razzing her on the point? Or are you just defending her because she is a woman?
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

I did have a savior complex, where I tried to make the woman see the angelic being I saw. Before I realized it was my own mind I was seeing. I've come to learn a woman with baggage is like a horse with a broken leg. She just turns into glue, gloms onto someone and sticks something fierce.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Sue claimed to be the "only female thinker" she knew of. If Sue were a male and claimed that she knew of no females who could think as well as she could, would you blame me for razzing her on the point?

No... rather yes, because she is right either way.
Or are you just defending her because she is a woman?
If my motivation were impure I would be ashamed. Because I am not ashamed, no.

note: edited 'no' to 'yes'
Last edited by BMcGilly07 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:I did have a savior complex, where I tried to make the woman see the angelic being I saw. Before I realized it was my own mind I was seeing. I've come to learn a woman with baggage is like a horse with a broken leg. She just turns into glue, gloms onto someone and sticks something fierce.
Turn down the volume because this link has awful music, but good information. Is this the sort of female you tended to date?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Sue claimed to be the "only female thinker" she knew of. If Sue were a male and claimed that she knew of no females who could think as well as she could, would you blame me for razzing her on the point?

No... rather yes, because she is right either way.
Sue's misogyny is a major blind spot. By dismissing any and all females out of hand just for being female, she misses seeing some things.

I am a female, and I am a thinker - and I think better than Sue does. I'm entitled to point that out in the way I see that Sue might best see what I'm saying.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

After reading everything up to etiology, I would say my last and final relationship most certainly dripped of these symptoms. My first girlfriend wasn't quite so disturbed, she was supremely self confident. It was I who saw the 'lost' quality, she was quite content with who she was. One weird thing about her upbringing which I think made her so promiscuous was that her parents let her sleep in bed with them up to the age of 14 (I was freaked out a bit upon learning this little tidbit), so I think the need for companionship which made her slutty, made her "lost" to my eyes and in need of "saving." Big mistake, folks. You can't save anyone, or even change them. You can only be a catalyst for what is there.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Sue's misogyny is a major blind spot. By dismissing any and all females out of hand just for being female, she misses seeing some things.
I don't consider honesty to be misogyny. But tell me, what things would someone of her mind "miss seeing"?
I am a female, and I am a thinker - and I think better than Sue does. I'm entitled to point that out in the way I see that Sue might best see what I'm saying.
You reminisce, you opine, because thoughts happen does not a thinker make.
Elizabeth Isabelle

read etiolody too - that includes the symptom of promescuity. Borderlines can be easy for guys to fall for because they will worship you like you are a god, until of course they perceive that you mess up in any way... and they are quite attentive, as a side effect of their insecurity that they will be left alone.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bryan McGilly wrote:I don't consider honesty to be misogyny. But tell me, what things would someone of her mind "miss seeing"?
Other female thinkers, for one thing - and any piece of wisdom they may have for another.
Bryan McGilly wrote:You reminisce,
I make points in a narrative style from a first person perspective.
Bryan McGilly wrote:you opine,
Thinking does tend to result in opinions.
Bryan McGilly wrote:because thoughts happen does not a thinker make.
The deaf do not hear and the blind do not see.