A=A represents making distinctions

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla Shen wrote:
S: Leyla, just a thought… you know what… I wonder if anything such as ‘empirical’ really makes sense to people who profess that all that one experiences is an appearance to the mind, and that would include the so called ‘empirical’ and it’s uncertainties so to speak. Wouldn’t it? So what exactly is ‘empirical’ in such contexts?

L: I would sum the empirical experience up as anything that appears through the senses. This in contrast with a priori (deductive) knowledge; pure logic.

S: Well, my query is, how is ‘in contrast with a priori (deductive) knowledge; pure logic’, itself NOT an appearance to the mind? Considering that even a thought is a thing.

L: Through what sense would you say a thought appears?

S: Lets say the sense of thought perhaps.
So, you are one of these people about which you wonder if anything such as “empirical” really makes sense?

A thought appears through itself, like the taste of an apple?

No, a thought appears through the sense of thinking. May be it was a wrong choice of word earlier. May be even that thought appears through the sense of awareness.

Hoping that it more clear now, could you answer…

S: how is ‘in contrast with a priori (deductive) knowledge; pure logic’, itself NOT an appearance to the mind? Considering that even a thought is a thing.
L: I would sum the empirical experience up as anything that appears through the senses.
Where does that which appears through the senses originate?
---------
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

"A thought appears through itself, like the taste of an apple."

If you were an apple, could your taste be anything other than what it was?

Could you taste your taste?

Or?

("Koan" for the day)
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

I hope you don’t mind, Sapius, if I keep posting the original question to assist in keeping the discussion properly focussed.
Leyla, just a thought… you know what… I wonder if anything such as ‘empirical’ really makes sense to people who profess that all that one experiences is an appearance to the mind, and that would include the so called ‘empirical’ and it’s uncertainties so to speak. Wouldn’t it? So what exactly is ‘empirical’ in such contexts?
In your latest reply, you wrote:
No, a thought appears through the sense of thinking. May be it was a wrong choice of word earlier. May be even that thought appears through the sense of awareness.

Hoping that it more clear now, [snip]
You make me smile, Sapius. I guess it’s more clear, apart from the maybes, that is. :)
Where does that which appears through the senses originate?
Well, by definition, it must originate through the senses. If I ate an apple but did not have the ability to taste it, the taste of the apple would not appear to my mind, and; if I did not have the logical capacity to make inferences, I could not infer such a thing as taste (or “I”). Then, if I could not infer such a thing as taste, I could not come to the conclusion that Granny Smiths are sour whilst Red Delicious are sweet.

You see, I have a problem in thinking that the taste of an apple, for example, originates from the apple. If that were true, I wouldn’t have to eat it. But would I have to see it, or could I just think about it?

Up until about 5 years ago, whenever I thought about one of my friends I had in England (I left when I was 9)--Lorraine, a red-headed, Irish girl--I could smell the unique scent of her home so strongly it was as if I was right there. What would you say was its origin and, on the basis of that origin, why did it go away?

Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

From Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory:

"Verrruucaaa!"

[poke]

(Ok. No more talking from me :-)
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Steven,
If you were an apple, could your taste be anything other than what it was?

No.
Could you taste your taste?
I don’t know about an apple, but me, yes.
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla,
I hope you don’t mind, Sapius, if I keep posting the original question to assist in keeping the discussion properly focused.

No, not at all.
You make me smile, Sapius. I guess it’s more clear, apart from the maybes, that is. :)
Well, I hope the smile is in response to a healthy discussion, rather than ["what stupid questions he asks?!”] :)
S: Where does that which appears through the senses originate?
L: Well, by definition, it must originate through the senses.
Why does one say through the senses? Why not originates in the senses then?
If I ate an apple but did not have the ability to taste it, the taste of the apple would not appear to my mind,…
And what would that indicate? Is there a problem with the apple or the taste buds?
...and; if I did not have the logical capacity to make inferences, I could not infer such a thing as taste (or “I”).
What has the logical capacity to make inference got to do with taste? Is it illogical to think that animals can sense taste?
Then, if I could not infer such a thing as taste, I could not come to the conclusion that Granny Smiths are sour whilst Red Delicious are sweet.
Well, same as above.
You see, I have a problem in thinking that the taste of an apple, for example, originates from the apple. If that were true, I wouldn’t have to eat it. But would I have to see it, or could I just think about it?
Thaaaatss a bit confusing to me…

If the taste of an apple were to originate from an apple, why wouldn’t you have to eat it? You mean to say that thinking about an apple should generate the taste if it really did originate from the apple?
Up until about 5 years ago, whenever I thought about one of my friends I had in England (I left when I was 9)--Lorraine, a red-headed, Irish girl--I could smell the unique scent of her home so strongly it was as if I was right there. What would you say was its origin and, on the basis of that origin, why did it go away?
Lucky you… a long distance sense of smell :) However, it is not uncommon that a memory could generate certain “mind over matter” sensations. For example, the scent and taste of an apple grows stronger every minute we discuss it, but that requires having it experienced at least once. There is no way ever that you could explain me the taste of an apple if I have never eaten one.
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Leyla wrote:
I am exhuming this thread as its contents are relevant to current discussions.
I'm not sure what point you're making when you included a post of mine from the The Relationship between matter and consciousness thread, and the two posts of Kevin's from this thread?

-
Sue
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Sapius,
Well, I hope the smile is in response to a healthy discussion, rather than ["what stupid questions he asks?!”] :)
I don’t know about healthy, or stupid. I think I make allowances for the fact that English is your second language. I am quite certain that you make certain allowances for me, also. :)
Why does one say through the senses? Why not originates in the senses then?
Because it doesn’t originate in the senses--we infer that it appears to the mind* through them and understand that if we run around sticking our taste-bud laden tongues on things, things will appear to have taste--or no taste.

You would have to prove that the taste of an apple is in the thing. The taste would have to be a thing that you could separate from the apple and the senses and say, “Look, that’s apple taste!” Since “senses” is also an inferred thing, you cannot do this.

Apple, however, is a solid object. If taste originated in--and “from” would be the correct preposition*--it, you could quite literally perform the above experiment.

*The reason for this is that you are implying that the taste of the apple comes out of the apple and in to something else when you use the word “originate.” “Through” makes no claim regarding a conclusively objective source of the apple’s taste, even if an apple’s taste is considered unique to an apple. Who knows, but I might just as well be tasting what you would identify as orange taste when eating a thing we might both agree is an apple.

Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla,
don’t know about healthy, or stupid. I think I make allowances for the fact that English is your second language. I am quite certain that you make certain allowances for me, also. :)
Thanks for tolerating me.
Because it doesn’t originate in the senses--we infer that it appears to the mind* through them and understand that if we run around sticking our taste-bud laden tongues on things, things will appear to have taste--or no taste.
But you cannot be sure that the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE?

Well, again a stupid question I guess, since you make it quite clear here…
Who knows, but I might just as well be tasting what you would identify as orange taste when eating a thing we might both agree is an apple.
Yes, who knows...
---------
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

But you cannot be sure that the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE?
If I say the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE then of course I am sure that the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE.

Personally, I would rather say that the taste of an apple comes from eating an apple.
Well, again a stupid question I guess, since you make it quite clear here…
Assuming that you are not in fact being facetious, why do you think it is a stupid question, Sapius? Course, no need to answer otherwise.

~

Sue, I will write to your post soon.

[Edit: added emphasis.]

Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla wrote:
If I say the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE then of course I am sure that the taste of an APPLE, as defined, comes from an APPLE.

Personally, I would rather say that the taste of an apple comes from eating an apple.
OK…

BTW, do we define what we sense or sense what we define?
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius,

To say you see, hear, taste, smell and touch means that you have already identified each of these things by their definition.

Therefore, identifying a thing and defining it happens simultaneously.

-
Sue
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue,
Sapius,

To say you see, hear, taste, smell and touch means that you have already identified each of these things by their definition.

Therefore, identifying a thing and defining it happens simultaneously.

-
Sue
Well, what if I were a year old baby and cannot SAY that? Or a homo-erectus with no language in place to define? What would your logical deduction say then?

In your opinion, how does a year old baby or an animal operate? They seem to have all the five senses; does defining arise simultaneously in them too?

As this topic says, ‘A=A represents making distinctions’, and that does not necessarily require defining as such.

So, do we define what we sense or sense what we define?
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius,

Babies and animals don't have the ability to consciously formulate definitions. Instead, simple, broad categories suffice them: pain, pleasure, hunger, food, enemy, friend.

A step up from babies and animals are those people who have enough consciousness to be able to a formulate simple definitions, such as "love is good", "I am me", "The bible is the word of god", "the objective world exists outside my mind", etc.

Next are those people who possess a higher level of consciousness which enables them to formulate questions as to the validity of those simple concepts.

Going from questioning to finding answers requires a much, much higher level of consciousness. Only people possessing this type of consciousness are capable of formulating definitions that accord with Nature: A=A, cause and effect is the fundamental creating force of everything, all things are mental constructs - being just a few.
Sapius: As this topic says, ‘A=A represents making distinctions’, and that does not necessarily require defining as such.
If we weren't able to formulate definitions, we would all be like babies, cats, and dogs.

If you cannot see how you have consciously formulated the definition of the above thought, I'd like to know how you think thoughts are formed?

-
Sue
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue,
Babies and animals don't have the ability to consciously formulate definitions. Instead, simple, broad categories suffice them: pain, pleasure, hunger, food, enemy, friend.
Yes, I do know they don’t have the ability to formulate definitions, but no, it is not them but YOU, creating broad categories for them according to your experience. In my opinion they simply experience A=A. It is you who is defining categories now that you can. I don’t think they ‘think’ in those terms.
A step up from babies and animals are those people who have enough consciousness to be able to a formulate simple definitions, such as "love is good", "I am me", "The bible is the word of god", "the objective world exists outside my mind", etc.
What they really don't have enough is self-consciousness, not consciousness itself.
Next are those people who possess a higher level of consciousness which enables them to formulate questions as to the validity of those simple concepts.
No, they have a higher level of thinking, questioning and reasoning power. More appropriately resulting in Self-awareness.
Going from questioning to finding answers requires a much, much higher level of consciousness. Only people possessing this type of consciousness are capable of formulating definitions that accord with Nature: A=A, cause and effect is the fundamental creating force of everything, all things are mental constructs - being just a few.
You mean a different level of self-consciousness. That is just a matter of caused conditions, which creates a certain personality that values one thing over another, accordingly.
Sapius: As this topic says, ‘A=A represents making distinctions’, and that does not necessarily require defining as such.
Sue: If we weren't able to formulate definitions, we would all be like babies, cats, and dogs.
Sure we would be like babies, but does that mean that A=A does not exist unless you formulate that as a definition?

Does self consciousness discover A=A, or create it?

So again, do we define what we sense or sense what we define?
If you cannot see how you have consciously formulated the definition of the above thought,
What did I say that makes you think so? How do you gather that I cannot see how I formulate definitions? And that is not even being discussed. We are looking at what emerges first; the senses or formulation of definitions?
I'd like to know how you think thoughts are formed?
A causality created process called thinking. Is that a big deal?
---------
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Fuuuuuck...

!

Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla Shen wrote:Fuuuuuck...

!

What was that all about?
---------
tooyi

Post by tooyi »

"This being present, that arises; without this, that does not occur."
Let him who has ears hear.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

tooyi wrote:"This being present, that arises; without this, that does not occur."
..nor without that, can this arise.
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius wrote:
Sue: Babies and animals don't have the ability to consciously formulate definitions. Instead, simple, broad categories suffice them: pain, pleasure, hunger, food, enemy, friend.
Yes, I do know they don’t have the ability to formulate definitions, but no, it is not them but YOU, creating broad categories for them according to your experience.
It is true that we can’t be certain that they experience the world exactly in the way I described, but based on observations, I’d say it would be a close approximation.
In my opinion they simply experience A=A. It is you who is defining categories now that you can. I don’t think they ‘think’ in those terms.
Your view that they experience A=A has me greatly interested. I’d like to meet these babies and animals that are living the highest wisdom. ; )

-

To “simply experience A=A” requires one to know what it is like to ‘not simply experience A=A’. Otherwise, it is a meaningless statement.
Sue: A step up from babies and animals are those people who have enough consciousness to be able to formulate simple definitions, such as "love is good", "I am me", "The bible is the word of god", "the objective world exists outside my mind", etc.
What they really don't have enough is self-consciousness, not consciousness itself.
Yes, lacking the ability to understand their causal natures does render them unable to even understand the shallows they live in.
Sue: Next are those people who possess a higher level of consciousness which enables them to formulate questions as to the validity of those simple concepts.
No, they have a higher level of thinking, questioning and reasoning power. More appropriately resulting in Self-awareness.
It is true that possessing a higher level of consciousness means having a “higher level of thinking, questioning and reasoning power”, but perhaps a handful of people from this level ever have a major insight about the nature of the self, causality, or the feminine. Take for example, scientists and academics. They often possess “a higher level of thinking, questioning and reasoning power”, but very rarely – if ever - do they have any “Self-awareness”, or other philosophical awareness.

The reason for this is that the gulf that lies between this level and the next is extremely wide. Out of the handful of people who have an insight into Nature, one or two of them will try and make it across – but they rarely succeed.
Sue: Going from questioning to finding answers requires a much, much higher level of consciousness. Only people possessing this type of consciousness are capable of formulating definitions that accord with Nature: A=A, cause and effect is the fundamental creating force of everything, all things are mental constructs - being just a few.
You mean a different level of self-consciousness. That is just a matter of caused conditions, which creates a certain personality that values one thing over another, accordingly.
Valuing Truth over all other things is something very rare – so rare indeed, that the few people who do value it are ever thankful for being blessed so.

Sue: If we weren't able to formulate definitions, we would all be like babies, cats, and dogs.
Sure we would be like babies, but does that mean that A=A does not exist unless you formulate that as a definition?
Without possessing a level of consciousness that defined the concept 'A=A' separate from all other things, 'A=A' would have no meaning - and therefore would not exist.
Does self consciousness discover A=A,
All grades of consciousness are defined by how close or far away they are from being conscious of Reality. Since delusions about things stand in the way of progress through those grades, destroying them is the only option. With a mind set upon doing just that, these falsehoods are quickly found out as the truth about them is uncovered. Gradually, as truths overtake delusions, a serious assault can begin on those deeper delusions. And once that is done, the job of attacking those delusions held up in the even deeper recesses of the mind can begin. And so on.

So, having “self consciousness”: that is, being aware of the causal nature of all things, does sometimes contribute to an understanding of the truth of A=A – but not always. It is dependent upon how deep one understands causality. For example, a person may understand that everything is caused and see that all things are ultimately the same, but not be able to see that it is ultimately true that things are also finite.
or create it?
According to your statement below, ‘thinking’ is a “causality created process”. So, therefore, all thoughts of the ‘A=A’ type, or ‘not A=A’ type, must also be causally created.
So again, do we define what we sense or sense what we define?
I’ve already given you my ideas about this. What’s your thinking on it?
Sue: If you cannot see how you have consciously formulated the definition of the above thought,
What did I say that makes you think so? How do you gather that I cannot see how I formulate definitions?
The understanding that all thought arises complete with formulated definitions; is something you seem not to possess.
And that is not even being discussed. We are looking at what emerges first; the senses or formulation of definitions?
OK – the floor is yours. Which emerges first? And how does it do so?
Sue: I'd like to know how you think thoughts are formed?
A causality created process called thinking. Is that a big deal?
It depends on what you mean by “a big deal”?

-
Sue
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue,
To “simply experience A=A” requires one to know what it is like to ‘not simply experience A=A’. Otherwise, it is a meaningless statement.
Obviously our definitions of consciousness itself do not match up, so it is basically futile to discuss about the basic ingredient that is necessarily even for the lowest kind of “conscious” consciousness, which is differentiation.
Without possessing a level of consciousness that defined the concept 'A=A' separate from all other things, 'A=A' would have no meaning - and therefore would not exist.
And concepts are dependant on language. Right?
Kevin: truth has nothing to do with language. Only the expression of truth is dependent on language.
Your recently gained highest wisdom has nothing to do with truth being truth itself.
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius wrote:
Sue: To “simply experience A=A” requires one to know what it is like to ‘not simply experience A=A’. Otherwise, it is a meaningless statement.
Obviously our definitions of consciousness itself do not match up, so it is basically futile to discuss about the basic ingredient that is necessarily even for the lowest kind of “conscious” consciousness, which is differentiation.
It is difficult to discuss “differentiation” if you do not put forth your thinking on it. For example, if you’d answer your own question about - “What emerges first; the senses or formulation of definitions?”, I'd then have something to go on.
Sue: Without possessing a level of consciousness that defined the concept 'A=A' separate from all other things, 'A=A' would have no meaning - and therefore would not exist.
And concepts are dependant on language. Right?
Without language, there are no concepts. Our thoughts are words.
Kevin: truth has nothing to do with language. Only the expression of truth is dependent on language.

Your recently gained highest wisdom has nothing to do with truth being truth itself.
What do you think Kevin means by “truth has nothing to do with language”?

-
Sue
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

I wrote: "Truth has nothing to do with language. Only the expression of truth is dependent on language."

The language I was speaking about above was the kind of language that is shared between people.

It is possible for a person to know what another person means, even though the other person cannot express their ideas in language. In that way the expression of truth is not dependent on language.

But when a person draws their own boundaries within their own mind, and thus creates their own things, as we all do, then these things only exist for the individual. Each is effectively a "word" in a private language that only the individual knows.
Last edited by Kevin Solway on Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Kevin Solway wrote:I wrote: "Truth has nothing to do with language. Only the expression of truth is dependent on language."

The language I was speaking about above was the kind of language that is shared between people.

But when a person draws their own boundaries within their own mind, and thus creates their own things, as we all do, then these things only exist for the individual. Each is effectively a "word" in a private language that only the individual knows.
Agreed, but how does that make a difference to what truth essentially is? Irrelevant of what one individual may know or not know.
---------
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Sapius wrote:Agreed, but how does that make a difference to what truth essentially is? Irrelevant of what one individual may know or not know.
It depends what you mean by "truth".

Depending on what things we bring into existence we will arrive at different truths. If a person perceives, say, trees, they will have truths about trees. But if another person doesn't perceive any trees, then they won't have any truths about trees.

This kind of truth I've just stated in that last paragraph is independent even of people's private languages, or whatever things they perceive.