Here and Not Here

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue to Scott and to me.
You are confusing wisdom with insanity.
I don't want to sound rude or anything, and essentially I'm not, but you are simply asking for it, Sue.

Define both, and then prove which is which from your ‘existence is sheer fantasy’ base, or from your “they do not exist inherently” base. You are taking that too literally and are being blind to A=A, actually.
Helping people is for the insane,
Is that so? Do you even realize why this fu*kin site has been put up for? Are you saying that David, Kevin and Dan are insane? God forbid! Right? But that is exactly what you ARE saying.
due to it being the incorrect identification of others existing separate from ourselves.
So you are saying that Things do NOT exist as they are, which is a violation of the fundamental A=A. What the fu*k are you saying? You have begun to believe that existence is a one whole big sausage, with every “thing” mashed into ONE, and one should NOT be "incorrectly" identifying things as things, because it is just a ONE Big fu*king sausage, and even that is a fu*kinn fantasy! What... The... Fu*k?!!!

This is what David’s and Kevin’s inappropriate method of acquiring certainty through “masculinity” does; it makes a person arrogant enough not to see the other side of the coin. Sue, I say both of them will disagree with you absolutely. If you don’t believe me, ask them! You are stuck on the ONE side of THE coin, so you have no idea that existence is a COIN.

How the fu*k can you even begin to think or talk if you are not necessarily a thing that is NOT any thing else? A=A!!! You don’t even fu*kin know what A=A means. Go back to school, now!
The sane know, due their understanding of cause and effect, that others do not exist inherently – and also that even our own inherent existence is sheer fantasy.
Do you even realize? By saying that you are actually contradiction each and every fundamental nature of existence! If it is sheer fantasy, and you say that with absolute certainly, then what are ANY of your thoughts worth, which are then nothing else other than a wishful thinking or a fanciful dream?

What you are really saying is that you are Certain of Uncertainties. What the fu*k does that mean or is worth? So I use the most famous quote of Kevin here, ‘I can then safely ignore you’, which fits here like a glove to a hand, and a hat to a head.

I need a cup of tea… may be there is a tea party being held under a tree trunk… :D

There are some that are too “masculine” to understand Masculinity, or Existence. :D What else can I really say....
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sapius wrote:
Sue: You are confusing wisdom with insanity.
I don't want to sound rude or anything, and essentially I'm not, but you are simply asking for it, Sue.

Define both, and then prove which is which from your ‘existence is sheer fantasy’ base, or from your “they do not exist inherently” base. You are taking that too literally and are being blind to A=A, actually.
Wisdom = being free from delusion.

Insanity = being trapped in delusion.

In my post, I continued on from the sentence you have quoted by giving examples of both wisdom/sanity and insanity. See below:
Sue: Helping people is for the insane, due to it being the incorrect identification of others existing separate from ourselves. The sane know, due their understanding of cause and effect, that others do not exist inherently – and also that even our own inherent existence is sheer fantasy.
This may seem like a conundrum to you, but it is really very simple and straightforward. The consequence of which, we are all experiencing every moment of our lives. We live and breathe, play and work, eat and sleep – but at no time can we forget that our lives are but a whim of Nature.
Sue: Helping people is for the insane,
Is that so? Do you even realize why this fu*kin site has been put up for? Are you saying that David, Kevin and Dan are insane? God forbid! Right? But that is exactly what you ARE saying.
This site is dedicated to the advancement of Truth. David, Kevin and Dan have all written about the Truth, but what happens after their words are written down isn’t their responsibility. It may take hundreds of years, or even thousands of years before maybe one or two people arise that recognize David, Kevin and Dan’s thoughts as their very own.
Sue: due to it being the incorrect identification of others existing separate from ourselves.
So you are saying that Things do NOT exist as they are, which is a violation of the fundamental A=A. What the fu*k are you saying? You have begun to believe that existence is a one whole big sausage, with every “thing” mashed into ONE, and one should NOT be "incorrectly" identifying things as things, because it is just a ONE Big fu*king sausage, and even that is a fu*kinn fantasy! What... The... Fu*k?!!!
Things only exist through their causes. Because of this, things do not exist independently from other things. So everything is cause and effect, which is the same as saying that all is the Infininte.
This is what David’s and Kevin’s inappropriate method of acquiring certainty through “masculinity” does; it makes a person arrogant enough not to see the other side of the coin. Sue, I say both of them will disagree with you absolutely. If you don’t believe me, ask them! You are stuck on the ONE side of THE coin, so you have no idea that existence is a COIN.
A person must learn to trust their own mind to reason out the Truth for themselves. You can use other’s thoughts to stir your own thinking, but that can only take you so far – the rest of the journey you must make alone. That is where a strong love of Truth can help carry you onwards.
How the fu*k can you even begin to think or talk if you are not necessarily a thing that is NOT any thing else? A=A!!! You don’t even fu*kin know what A=A means. Go back to school, now!
I exist, my thoughts exist, and my posts exist, all because of causality. Without causality, none of those things could exist. But, because of causality, I can’t take credit for any of those things - as all belongs to God.
Sue: The sane know, due their understanding of cause and effect, that others do not exist inherently – and also that even our own inherent existence is sheer fantasy.
Do you even realize? By saying that you are actually contradiction each and every fundamental nature of existence! If it is sheer fantasy, and you say that with absolute certainly, then what are ANY of your thoughts worth, which are then nothing else other than a wishful thinking or a fanciful dream?

What you are really saying is that you are Certain of Uncertainties. What the fu*k does that mean or is worth? So I use the most famous quote of Kevin here, ‘I can then safely ignore you’, which fits here like a glove to a hand, and a hat to a head.
Being certain about uncertainties and certainties is extremely important, as they are the truths we build upon to know even greater truths. For example: to know with 100% certainty, that we can never know if anything exists outside of our own minds, is an important and useful truth. From this knowledge, we can see that what appears to our minds is all we have to work with. Then, knowing that everything is caused, we can see that our own minds are also caused – because if it was not so, we could not have the causal relationship we do have with the rest of the universe.

As you can see, philosophy is all about attaining certainty in everything. Without it, one spends their life grasping from one thing to another – which is a good definition of hell.
There are some that are too “masculine” to understand Masculinity, or Existence. :D What else can I really say....
You’ve not really said anything at all here. Understanding that masculinity equals consciousness, being “too masculine” equates with being ‘too conscious’ – which is impossible.

-
Sue
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Did you miss my post, Sue?
- Scott
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Sue,
This may seem like a conundrum to you, but it is really very simple and straightforward. The consequence of which, we are all experiencing every moment of our lives. We live and breathe, play and work, eat and sleep – but at no time can we forget that our lives are but a whim of Nature.
A whim of Nature? And who is actually saying or thinking THAT? YOU? You cannot have your cake and eat it too, Sue.
This site is dedicated to the advancement of Truth. David, Kevin and Dan have all written about the Truth
Sure, because you have understood the basics, and there are Truth’s at every level of understandings, and due to the complexity of Existence, no “Ultimate Truth” can stand on its feet without another “Ultimate Truth” to support it. Give me ONE such Ultimate Truth, and I will show you its Legs that it stands upon.
It may take hundreds of years, or even thousands of years before maybe one or two people arise that recognize David, Kevin and Dan’s thoughts as their very own.
You are definitely deluded. On one side you say you know causality, and on the other you think that “thoughts” belong to David, Kevin and Dan?
Things only exist through their causes. Because of this, things do not exist independently from other things. So everything is cause and effect, which is the same as saying that all is the Infininte.
You have no idea about A=A. IF EVERY-THING is caused, it is necessarily a CAUSED THING, and will most surely be un-caused by causality, then where the fu*k is there any infiniteness in and of a thing? Casuality is infinite, Not the bloody “things”, and things cannot help but be what they are, because of causality.
A person must learn to trust their own mind to reason out the Truth for themselves.
Do I believe you on this? How can “I” ever learn anything or even trust? Am “I’ not included in that “all”? “So everything is cause and effect, which is the same as saying that all is the Infininte.” That makes me “infinite’ too, so what have “I” to learn?

Just by emphasizing the word “everything” does not change its meaning. If that is what you are doing, you are violating the basic A=A. You can’t even identify that which you are talking about.
You can use other’s thoughts to stir your own thinking,
Now can “you”? So you do know that "you" have a choice.
but that can only take you so far – the rest of the journey you must make alone.
Is that so? Tell me. How “alone” am “I”?
That is where a strong love of Truth can help carry you onwards.
Thanks for the advise.
I exist, my thoughts exist, and my posts exist, all because of causality. Without causality, none of those things could exist. But, because of causality, I can’t take credit for any of those things - as all belongs to God.
Oops! Now how did all of a sudden did this question of God come up?
Can you define God, please.
Being certain about uncertainties and certainties is extremely important, as they are the truths we build upon to know even greater truths.

And those greater “truth” are based on the certainty that…
To know with 100% certainty, that we can never know if anything exists outside of our own minds,
So nothing lies “out side” of our minds. Hence ‘things’ could be “illusory”, but what of a Mind itself?

You further say…

From this knowledge, we can see that what appears to our minds is all we have to work with.
Absolutely.
Then, knowing that everything is caused, we can see that our own minds are also caused –
So according to the same logic, does that not make a Mind an Illusion too? So how can I trust anything that comes from an already known “illusory” thing? Where does that leave your certainty of uncertainties itself? Am I not being deluded into thinking that Thinking is Illusory?

Reality is more complex than what Reality makes one think, and another something else, and Reality does not make every one Realize, because then the difference would not be known, and differentiating is the core of Reality, Consciousness, A=A, but that too cannot exist unless there necessarily exist THINGS to be differentiated, and that too is Reality. NOTHING is an Illusion, ULTINMATELY.

because if it was not so, we could not have the causal relationship we do have with the rest of the universe.
What are you saying, Sue? How can you jump and talk about ‘relationships’ when you have initially already destroyed the Thing-ness of THINGS that necessarily have to exist as Things to have any relationship or display such relationships at all?
As you can see, philosophy is all about attaining certainty in everything. Without it, one spends their life grasping from one thing to another – which is a good definition of hell.
I agree, and I am absolutely certain that there is Nothing that is NOT Reality; now take your pick and show me that which isn’t?

Just tackle this, and forget all the rest above.

This is exactly getting out of the "hell", which isn't really HELL at all. Reality creates 'thoughts', ALL thoughts. Including what it makes me, or anything ELSE for that matter, Realize. And ME is not any-thing ELSE. A=A!
---------
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

It appears that some knowledge is about as usefull as using a pitchfork to move smoke from one end of the barn to the other.

If truth does not assist our lives - what good is it?
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Beingof1 wrote:It appears that some knowledge is about as usefull as using a pitchfork to move smoke from one end of the barn to the other.

If truth does not assist our lives - what good is it?
???
---------
DHodges

It is what it is

Post by DHodges »

Beingof1 wrote:If truth does not assist our lives - what good is it?
This question seems to get asked repeatedly, in different forms. (In the most naked form I've seen it: "What good is enlightenment, if it won't get me laid?")

Truth is an end in itself, and does not serve any other end. Truth is not subservient to life, or happiness, or whatever has utility at the moment. Truth is not moral, or immoral.

The value of truth is that it is true. It doesn't necessarily have any other value.

Most people are not concerned with truth beyond where it is useful to their desires.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

DHodges wrote:
Truth is an end in itself, and does not serve any other end. Truth is not subservient to life, or happiness, or whatever has utility at the moment. Truth is not moral, or immoral.

The value of truth is that it is true. It doesn't necessarily have any other value.
Nicely put.

Sue, you wrote:
A person must learn to trust their own mind to reason out the Truth for themselves. You can use other’s thoughts to stir your own thinking, but that can only take you so far – the rest of the journey you must make alone. That is where a strong love of Truth can help carry you onwards.
I agree, and, surprise, I understand you when you say:
Since my aim is 100% certainty, any “stupid beliefs” that arise will be put through an exhaustive examination using logic to see if the ‘belief’ accords with Truth. Then, and only then, would I consider acting on it.
I am an analyst by trade and have been for almost 25 years in one form or fashion. However, I began a new job last year which utilized a supposed analytical set of spreadsheets to determine unrealized and realized gains and losses which had been developed by someone no longer there and used for 20 years. My supervisor, who has no formal college education and “worked her way up”, has used this spreadsheet without question.

When I began working with this spreadsheet I noticed a mistake in the formula, which although did not affect the bottom line, did skew the monthly calculations. Numbers do not lie…they balance. She is strong willed and we had our words causing great discord between the two of us all because both of us thought we were right. I did, however, prove mathematically that I was right. But at what cost?

My supervisor is a lovely woman, very thoughtful, considerate and kind. She is a good supervisor – I wouldn’t want that job if they gave me incentives. In looking back at the disrespect I showed her in trying to prove my point, I was ashamed. I sent her an e-mail apologizing for that disrespect and also said that some day when we both had time we could take a look at it more objectively. She came into my office and pretty much sounded like she was considering my view.

If your intent and those of others on this board are to crush one’s ego in order to rebuild an enlightened mind, that approach will not work for me. I understand about truths of a circumstantial reality and the quest for them, but I also am on the search for Ultimate Truths. Thoughtful logic and reasoning is the only way I will listen. Ridicule and condescension are a waste of breath. Sapius disregarded all my irrelevant rambling and somehow understood where I needed to be - maybe he has been there before?

Sapius:
(gotta get back to work so this is rushed)
I am reading. :-D But I have to stop and think, does any of this really matter when you come from God and return to God, however defined, and the only thing that does matter is to have a presence of mind to enjoy the sensation of rain on your face, the aroma of fresh flowers or the spontaneity of a tiny bird perched on your windowsill? On to Chapter 4 tonight.

In the Garden of Eden, the apple of causality on the Tree of Knowledge awaits Eve to take a bite, so does that make you the snake? ;-) I am not ready to face this cabal of inquisitors as I will admit I am much too sensitive (and too prone to get into arguments that serve no purpose in the end for me but frustration), so would you mind PMs next week after I have finished the book? Let me know. Thanks.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

DHodges:
This question seems to get asked repeatedly, in different forms. (In the most naked form I've seen it: "What good is enlightenment, if it won't get me laid?")
This question has been asked by everyone that has ever lived including yourself - tell me, why do you value truth?

Why did you respond to my post?
Then why the effort?

There is a great misperception that truth can only be percieved by one who is void of all desire - that has never been the case with any state of consciousness that has ever lived - now that, is the Truth.

To be void of all desire is a pipedream - unless of course you can show me a single example of a form of life that has none.

If all life demonstrates desire - that is the truth and to embrace what is self evident within yourself and all life is the measure of truth we are perceiving.

Do you not have desire?
It carries with it an infinite amount of value.

It allows one to participate and observe reality, thats a good start.

Example:
If I were to tell you that you had just won the lottery, and you were to believe me. That would create a paradigm in your mind that would alter they way you viewed your present moment and life.

If you were to check the numbers on your ticket and found they did not match, that would create another paradigm in your mind and life.

If you were to continue believing you had the winning lottery ticket even if the numbers do not match - that would be a good example of "What good is enlightenment, if it won't get me laid?"

Your odds of winning the lottery are one in millions, but if you had won the lottery last week, your odds of winning the lottery are 100% for last week.

In other words; the perception of truth allows us to experience reality just as it is and coming to terms with it, allows for the clarity of seeing through the roller coaster, ups and downs, ins and outs.

There ceases to be a struggle with life and a union with it. In this way do we have every desire fullfilled.

Life becomes your friend and ceases to be something that must be strived for - it becomes a gift. Once this happens, the mind opens and the contemplation of what has been your desire (buried deep in most) arises to the surface. It then follows its natural course and is free to accomplish what you have always wanted but did not know.

Funny - you don`t ask to get laid or win the lottery.

What do you want?
Most people are not concerned with truth beyond where it is useful to their desires.
Actually; most are only concerned with what they are told to desire.

They are told by their peers, wives, husbands, billboard signs, TV, preacher, newspapers, tabloids, boss, and society.

I ask you Mr. Hodges, what do you want?
Sapius

Re: It is what it is

Post by Sapius »

DHodges wrote:
Beingof1 wrote:If truth does not assist our lives - what good is it?

Ah! Now I get it. Thanks Dave.

Well, Existence it Truth itself, which means Reality itself, just that that has to be Realized in its fullness. If self-satisfaction, as in fulfilling a certain desire other than the simple urge to Know, is the pre-conceived aim, then that will never lead one to Realizing Truth for what it is, Existence for what it is; rather that it will result in a person rejecting the Truth, even if he is close enough, because he is necessarily looking to find and fulfill some desire based property which he thinks should be hidden within a Truth, otherwise what use would it be? - an idea pre-conceptually ingrained, hence hampering progress.

Which in my opinion, the word "enlightenment" or it's pre-conceived idea also does; that is, that it makes one think that it Must be the most highest form of satisfaction, the most noblest of cause, or an actual ultimate freedom, hence my valuing of Truth should come before the Truth itself, and only then will I attain it. How the hell can one value anything before one even knows what it is? How illogical can one be?

”I value Truth! I value Truth!” Beating ones chest! “Masculinity! Masculinity!” Hey! Do you even have the faintest idea as to what it is that you have already taken up “valuing”? Do you really value it? If you really want to VALUE it, first go and find out what it is, just parroting others words does not do it, even with all the superficial convictions in the world. Unless and until one doesn’t first suffer to actually KNOW, one can’t, and hence, only a Realized soul could have said, ‘Ignorance is bliss’, and I know exactly what he meant.

Although one might say otherwise, but internally, it is very hard to kill a self-satisfying desire, and actually it is impossible, for isn't the urge to Know aslo a desire? Hence all those appropriate advices of meditation, “emptying” the mind, Still the mind, etc, which should come before one starts thinking over what could be the Truth, and that does help calm the mind. But I can tell you this, that there is nothing like hard reasoning, coupled with patience and foolhardy convictions, that automatically become as sort of meditation, that one is in, 24/7, and does the same job as prescribed meditation by the topmost monks, or even Scott for that matter. ;)

Mind you, I’m not saying that all those good people are not trying to sincerely help, only that one should speak form his own experience, not from that of another, and that I speak from my very own. Hence, it is only an opinion.

However, not disappointing Bo1, what that Realization does, say in the worldly sense, is make a person inherently moral so to speak. That person works with clear thinking and because of his realization, that there is actually no difference in any-thing at all in essence, does not actually differentiate between a Self and not-Self, conceptually, which he can now actuate because of his unmovable convictions, and be actually compassionate to all that exists, for that is what one would logically want for one self. Isn’t it? And what else is there other than “things”, and I am but another ‘thing’, nothing more, nothing less.

Actually for this kind of an attitude, one doesn’t need to be “enlightened” or Buddha so to speak. I’m not a Christian, but if only they realized the real importance and did really understand and abide by, “Don’t do unto others that you wouldn’t like others do unto you”, I will call them Enlightened.

And, these words that are attributed to Christianity, are actually much older than the Epic of Gilgamesh, and yet humanity is still thinking over it so to speak.
Yes it has! If one could actually comprehend the value of value-less, but that comes only after one Knows it for what it is. In fact, the Realization is such, that one cannot even find what not to value. But for now, it is exactly what you say, and that attitude should be maintained, until one finds it, then the perspective will automatically change.
---------
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

what that Realization does, say in the worldly sense, is make a person inherently moral so to speak. That person works with clear thinking and because of his realization, that there is actually no difference in any-thing at all in essence, does not actually differentiate between a Self and not-Self, conceptually, which he can now actuate because of his unmovable convictions, and be actually compassionate to all that exists, for that is what one would logically want for one self. Isn’t it?
Equally important, but even more important to me, is inner peace. Not defined as happiness, bliss, but a quiet stillness inside in the midst of chaos.

A small story explaining:

There once was a King who offered a prize to the artist who would paint the best picture of peace. Many artists tried. The King looked at all the pictures, but there were only two he really liked and he had to choose between them. One picture was of a calm lake. The lake was a perfect mirror, for peaceful towering mountains were all around it. Overhead was a blue sky with fluffy white clouds. All who saw this picture thought that it was a perfect picture of peace.

The other picture had mountains too. But these were rugged and bare. Above was an angry sky from which rain fell and in which lightning played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a foaming waterfall. This did not look peaceful at all. But when the King looked, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush growing in a crack in the rock. In the bush a mother bird had built her nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest... perfect peace.

Which picture do you think won the prize?

The King chose the second picture. "Because," explained the King, "peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart. That is the real meaning of peace." (Catherine Marshall)

Coming to terms with Realization and having this being the end result would be my textbook definition of "Enlightenment". Compassion at this point would be given as free as the breath you breathe.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Everyone likes to talk about enlightenment, but who likes to attain it?
- Scott
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Well, I made a start by reading this book. Last night I read the section on Judgment and Punishment, then slept on it.

The idea of judgment, if pure, is fine, but no one has that type of judgment even here on this board. Actually, you had a Quinn judgment moment, when you said:
Very truthful, very constructive. My daughter whines about this guy she is dating and the job she has. I have said the same to her and it does make things happen. It shows no pity, but it also shows NO MALICE.

In the world of imperfect people, judgment cannot exist without compassion, especially in relationships with other people. This is the moment when I would like that inner peace...some people do not take judgment well and rail against the wall and do not stop. After some time, compassion is a necessary antidote. The compassion softens the blow so that they can think about the judgment, then growth happens - as in the example with my boss, simple as it may be.

People who judge righteously and with calm aforethought are good in a society of those who need guidance. The problem is that I have yet to meet one that does not have some personal goal, be it self affirmation of superiority or just plain hatred of people.

There are some brilliant people here. I have read other posts without making comments for quite some time. But they are not perfect because they cannot help a type of elitism from entering into their comments or judgment. I see it all over not just in this thread.

So, instead of constructive judgment, where your response would be..."ok, you know, I am doing this or that or being this or that. I'll work on it," it is full of character assasination. "You are such and such so you are hopeless, a dead carcass, need a lethal injection.." This is not being of pure judgment.

One will not advance when one is forced but led, being guided by those who have already been down the path, clearing what appears to be insurmountable objects but are indeed mirages of their own making. If you guys truly want to help someone - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE FIRST.

On to Chapter Five.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Passthrough,
In the world of imperfect people, judgment cannot exist without compassion, especially in relationships with other people. This is the moment when I would like that inner peace...some people do not take judgment well and rail against the wall and do not stop. After some time, compassion is a necessary antidote. The compassion softens the blow so that they can think about the judgment, then growth happens - as in the example with my boss, simple as it may be.
So basically, you think it's good to sweeten the truth? Maybe it is. I've taken the truth unsweetened, and it does suck. I am not sure if it would have the same effect to soften the blows.

Truth can be good and it can be bad, to the ego. It's never entirely bad. So I think it's good to accept it the way it is. When someone tells the truth in a cold and hard way, even if it's not such a cold and hard truth, it isn't being truthful. When someone sweetens it, and it's actually bitter, that isn't truthful either.

So I suppose the truth has just the right amount of sweetness, and it doesn't need any more.
People who judge righteously and with calm aforethought are good in a society of those who need guidance. The problem is that I have yet to meet one that does not have some personal goal, be it self affirmation of superiority or just plain hatred of people.
People who judge others do seem to think of themselves as superior...but maybe that shouldn't be focused on. Maybe we should just focus on their advice, which is of course good, and let them be whatever they'll be...while we choose to better ourselves with their advice regardless of who they are.

Don't you agree that it would be wise to do this? Does focusing on other people's faults solve your problems? Does it solve theirs?
There are some brilliant people here. I have read other posts without making comments for quite some time. But they are not perfect because they cannot help a type of elitism from entering into their comments or judgment. I see it all over not just in this thread.
I definitely don't claim to be perfect. I'm far from it, although striving for it. But if I give some good advice, I hope that the advice would be taken regardless of my imperfection.
So, instead of constructive judgment, where your response would be..."ok, you know, I am doing this or that or being this or that. I'll work on it," it is full of character assasination. "You are such and such so you are hopeless, a dead carcass, need a lethal injection.." This is not being of pure judgment.
I agree, calling someone a dead carcass doesn't do any good. It may cause them to wonder why they're being called a dead carcass. What does that mean anyway? I don't personally know.

This goes in with my idea that the truth should be told as it is, and not sweetened or made bitter. Being dramatic about the truth is kind of stupid, since drama is far from the truth. A wise person is calm and serene...they have inner peace, as you have said, Passthrough. If they don't have inner peace, then how could it be said that they're wise? They'd still be fighting the truth, which isn't truthfulness at all. That's not wisdom.

So this kind of drama really should be dropped by anyone serious about the truth. Unless someone is actually dead, and actually a carcass, they shouldn't be called that by the philosopher. You obviously aren't dead or a carcass, since you can type, Passthrough.

Also, calling someone hopeless is useless, since if they were truly hopeless there'd be no need to even tell them that. In doing so, it shows that the name caller has some hope that by shocking the person, they will become better. How untruthful is it, then, to call someone who isn't hopeless, hopeless? It's very untruthful. Very dramatic.
One will not advance when one is forced but led, being guided by those who have already been down the path, clearing what appears to be insurmountable objects but are indeed mirages of their own making. If you guys truly want to help someone - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE FIRST.
I think it's smart to know your audience...but at the same time, the truth shouldn't be held back just because of who the audience is. If there is something the audience needs to confront, then it should be told to the audience. Sometimes the truth really hurts...especially when the audience starts becoming honest with themselves, and truly walking the path towards wisdom. I know this, because it's the stage I'm at.

A person coming to this forum can definitely become hardened and develop a shell, with which they never truly confront their own problems. They never see who they are honestly. Perhaps not everyone here develops a shell like this, but I did. It's easy to just simply be a philosopher, and think on your own time. You can figure out pretty much everything and seem like one of the greatest philosophers. I'm sure others have done it, written many books, and become legends for it.

But when it comes down to it, very few people truly seek the truth. They choose to remain comfortable in who they've become. Even if they think they've figured out the truth, it's generally the case that they're very far from being truthful.

Being truthful...being wise...being enlightened...these things mean a person is pure. The truth is their mind, and there's no more ego. There's nothing left to confront. There's no shell, hiding them from the truth. I believe this is the true purpose of this forum. This is the reason why people are so confrontational here.

But you're right, Passthrough. Everyone should be aware of why they're being judgemental and confrontational...if it's coming from compassion, or from their own delusion.

P.S.
My idea of compassion: when you've gone through something, and see another person going through it, and you help them. Pretty simple.
- Scott
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

PT, I'm not necessarily arguing against your thoughts as such, it just my agreed and non-agreed opinion.
Equally important, but even more important to me, is inner peace. Not defined as happiness, bliss, but a quiet stillness inside in the midst of chaos.
You mean “inner” tranquility. Sure… I understand, but at the same time if you can comprehend that there is no such thing as “inner” or “outer”, you shall see tranquility in all and every thing. Yes, I do understand that first one needs to develop that “inner” tranquility, only then can it overflow outwards and encompass all, and the All then kind of become “inner”, and hence the reflection of a Self in ALL. so the concept of “outer and inner” dissolves.

Also looking at it from the Causality point of view, and the inherently binding connection that it creates between “things”, every thing could be said to have no beginning or end, but since THINGS do have a form, and a form has to necessarily be bound by its beginning and end of its “form-ness”, A=A, and at the same time is no different than you or me in ESSENCE, as a form, and because of the connectivity of all being a CAUSED thing, makes “me” or “you” no different then that “thing” in that sense. Hence where do “you” really begin and where does another thing end? The connectivity if understood makes that connectivity seem so unreal that it disappears, conceptually, and yet one can experience A=A, recognition - differentiation – reaction. So what is it that is “outside of you” and what is it that is “inside of you”?

But holding on to ‘ “I’ have no beginning or end ‘ is a delusion; It’s pride; Its ego; Thinking that that is an absolute, is violating the realization of A=A, hence once realized, one must let it go, because A=A is equally true as having no beginning or end. But that is exactly the problem. If one chases AN Ultimate Truth, he will be lost, because there are so many “Ultimate Truths” to be kept in mind at the same time, that “Ultimate-ness” looses its meaning when talking about Existence. Hence they seem contradictory when compared, but actually they cannot be compared to begin with, because BOTH are actually TRUE in their own rights. Now, THAT is generally quite difficult to overcome, because one has already conceptualized that one cannot attain “enlightenment” unless he has “pure logic” (ultimate-ness), “pure masculinity” (ultimate-ness), Intense Love of Truth (ultimate-ness), and so on and so forth….. In this, one has already made a “God” out of what he thinks should be Ultimate.

Ultimate-ness of things only exists in a comparative world, and it is true that we cannot get out of it, but that can be achieved using the same faculty of conceptualization, so if one takes another look at the second paragraph above, because he might have forgotten by now, one will see that comparative-ness can be conceptually removed, then what though in this world remains Ultimate?
The King chose the second picture. "Because," explained the King, "peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart. That is the real meaning of peace." (Catherine Marshall)
Absolutely. And that this knowledge has been floating around for ages, but if one sees closely, for example, a simple sentence otherwise not much thought about actually holds the mother of all philosophies; “Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder”; a.k.a. All is subjective; Nothing lies beyond the mind; Nothing is actually confirmable except “I”; Cogito ergo sum.

I never actually read any of those great philosophers; “beauty lies in the eye of the beholder”, was more than enough for me to know all the a.k.a’s, and more.

Existence is Sooooo connected, knowledge is Soooooo scattered, all that it needs is an eye to see it, otherwise it is really empty and meaningless, but THAT MEANING is created in ME, and am I not a product of the same, otherwise which “I” consider meaningless, Nature, Existence, Reality? So how meaning-less is the MEANING of meaningless itself? No…. not at all, existence is not all that meaningless, because it has created a thing that means what it says, and says what it means, and is Reality. Unless one is a disconnected God looking over from the “outside”, and that would be absurd, hence Frank is ultimately, absurd.

Hehehe…..

Hey! That’s just my opinion of course, one can be as Godly as one wants, who am I to object? :D I just try to think to the best of my humble ability.
Coming to terms with Realization and having this being the end result would be my textbook definition of "Enlightenment".
May be, but I say don’t give it a new “text-book” definition, as if the old ones have actually helped in any way, otherwise we would have had the Enlightened by the pounds a penny; because it will necessarily bring along the HIGH value placed on IT because of the “profoundness” one pre-conceptually sees in IT, and hence will end up revering IT, rather than really thinking about existence, nature, and a Self?

It is absolutely true, I’ve heard it somewhere, that if one WANTS “enlightenment”, he will never get it.

Because one’s nature becomes so “value-full” that he cannot be humble enough to let in a "contradiction" and then See that it is not a contradiction at all, which is hampering “his enlightenment” in the first place. I don’t know how else to say it… so what else can I say….
The idea of judgment, if pure, is fine, but no one has that type of judgment even here on this board.
If “pure”? Right. So where, in and of this entire existence, can one find “pure judgment”? “pure logic”? “pure masculinity”? or “PURE” whatever?

Can you first define “pure” and then rethink please? It is also this “purity” that is actually hampering ones progress. How can one have any sort of “perfection”, or “purity”, or AN Ultimate “Truth”? if one cannot even get out of duality? Comparativeness? A=A? AND one says that he knows and has absolutely understood that basic lesson! So where is it Now? Under the carpet? Why is one forgetting that A=A-ness is also absolutely true and cannot be gotten rid of? So how can there be an Ultimate thing?

Any and all “judgments” can ONLY be comparatively more correct, but can never achieve any pure “purity” as such. One thinks of it as such because one can compare it to something that is less “pure”, according to ones own subjectivity.

Just try to look at things from the “outside”, but don’t actually go out in a hurricane.
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Scott,
Exactly the one who likes to talk about IT, for he does not realize that it is not an IT in the first place, and not a THING that IT can be attained, but just Realized.

I actually sense a sense of ‘sigh’ in your post, Scott. I may be wrong though.

But don’t loose heart in any case.

This goes in with my idea that the truth should be told as it is, and not sweetened or made bitter.
Whose truth are you talking about? What can confirm that Truth as Truth? All that I could ever really confirm was “I”. So I concede, you must be better than I, Scott. Bravo!
So I suppose the truth has just the right amount of sweetness, and it doesn't need any more.
On the other hand, in my opinion, Truth is always bitter, but the dosage depends on the mass of the patient. Too much at one time can KILL.

Moderation, my friend... moderation. READ your book of "enlightenment" again, don't just talk about IT.
---------
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sapius,
Whose truth are you talking about? What can confirm that Truth as Truth? All that I could ever really confirm was “I”. So I concede, you must be better than I, Scott. Bravo!
The truth is what stands up as reality when everything is confronted. It isn't owned by anyone. Pure logic can confirm truth as being not illusion or falseness....but in order to fully utilize pure logic, there has to be absolute honesty.

All that you can confirm is "I"? Why is it called "I"?

I assure you, I'm not better than you.
- Scott
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Scott, I think we have talked enough, however... one last thing though...
All that you can confirm is "I"? Why is it called "I"?
I really and absolutely don’t know!

Dictionary................................................... perhaps?
---------
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Yes, we probably have talked enough because I don't understand a thing you're saying.
- Scott
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

You know I had a long response but Sapius you blew me away when you said this:
If “pure”? Right. So where, in and of this entire existence, can one find “pure judgment”? “pure logic”? “pure masculinity”? or “PURE” whatever?

Can you first define “pure” and then rethink please? It is also this “purity” that is actually hampering ones progress. How can one have any sort of “perfection”, or “purity”, or AN Ultimate “Truth”? if one cannot even get out of duality? Comparativeness? A=A? AND one says that he knows and has absolutely understood that basic lesson! So where is it Now? Under the carpet? Why is one forgetting that A=A-ness is also absolutely true and cannot be gotten rid of? So how can there be an Ultimate thing?

Any and all “judgments” can ONLY be comparatively more correct, but can never achieve any pure “purity” as such. One thinks of it as such because one can compare it to something that is less “pure”, according to ones own subjectivity.
Where did you come from? How do you think like this? Do you live what you think? You must be the most accepting person I have ever met…uh…read. How do you see things like this? To do what you say would be the most difficult thing for me to do…I have such a long way to go. I need to go read Chapter Five.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Sapius,

Organized religion lost its zeal for me several years ago. I have read where you say you are not a Christian, and yet do you agree or disagree with the teachings of Christ? Please be careful to differentiate that which was taught in church from what is written. In my opinion, they are not necessarily both the same.

I would like to know your thoughts here if you don’t mind sharing them. Scott, I would like to know your thoughts on Christ's teachings, as well. It would help if I began at what I know more about than discussing other philosophical teachings, which I don't. I read Chapter Five and have much to discuss with you both (and anyone else), but I realize that, as you (Sapius) said before, reading the entire thing is best.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

The Gospel of Thomas should be read. I advise you not to believe that Jesus spoke these words...but also don't disbelieve. Just check it out...
http://www.misericordia.edu/users/davie ... /Trans.htm

Soren Kierkegaard is a good philosopher on Christianity:
http://members.optushome.com.au/davidqu ... ard00.html

Here is a bunch of Jesus' sayings complied by David Quinn...
http://members.optushome.com.au/davidqu ... esus01.htm

I think better than anything is to read the Sermon on the Mount, since it's agreed upon by pretty much everyone that Jesus truly spoke it. It contains the essential teaching. Try to see how it fits into philosophy, and the path to enlightenment. Try to understand what exactly it means when he says "The Kingdom is near". What precisely is the Kingdom? How can it be "near"? Question why Jesus went to go be tempted for 40 days after his baptism. Why did he say to John "This must be done to fulfill all righteousness" about the baptism? Think about Jesus telling us to become perfect as our heavenly father is perfect...why do so many Christians not believe we can become perfect? Why does Jesus say that it's okay to diss him and God but not the holy spirit?

I pretty much try to stay away from the subject of Christianity. It's too nuts. It seems that the church has strayed too far from its roots. Too many people get bloodthirsty just thinking about it, and they lose their heads.

Jesus isn't here for me to ask him "what did this mean?" It's kind of pointless to ask any scholars, since after some looking it seems NO ONE truly knows.

Passthrough, it seems you're very lazy about reading. You've had how many days now to read Wisdom of the Infinite? Has it been like a week now? It only takes a few hours to sit down and go through the whole thing.
- Scott
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Passthrough, it seems you're very lazy about reading. You've had how many days now to read Wisdom of the Infinite? Has it been like a week now? It only takes a few hours to sit down and go through the whole thing.
A wise early american philosopher once said, never explain...your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyhow.

I am not going to accept what Quinn says at face value. I have a few things I'd like clarified and discussed...I have been taking notes. I'll get back here in a day or so - I am on Emptiness, which will take a lot of concentration. Later.

P.S. Thanks for the additional reading suggestions, I'll add them to my long list.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I am not going to accept what Quinn says at face value. I have a few things I'd like clarified and discussed...
Good!
- Scott
Gretchen

Ok, I'm done...

Post by Gretchen »

Easily understood, hard to live.

The biggest attachment to be rid of to move from understanding to living is my job. It isn't going to happen at least for another ten years. However, Sapius (where is he anyhow?) gave some food for thought, as well as you, on dealing with it in the short term.

There may be enlightened people in the workforce and perhaps, one day, I shall be one of them, but my job involves those that are so grounded in their delusions that even those that are blind and ignorant can see how delusional these people are. These singular perceptions of their delusional state are, in appearance but not necessarily proven, shared by the consciousness of others that work with me, but I may be deluding myself to think that they agree in order to make me feel better about what I am doing in life to pass time. I am not sure I said that correctly, but nevertheless, I do not think of myself as free to be in the moment. I have sporadic moments but that is all.

Quinn did not say anything that intellectually was offbeat, in fact, he was uncanny at his ability to explain, although he berated his readers if they failed to understand, which I don't understand. The reason I had questions before was because I hadn't reached the end where all came together...Sapius told me to focus on reading the whole thing without stopping - good advice. And...maybe I don't understand, but I think I do. I'm sure you'll tell me if I don't. ;-)

There are Marthas and there are Marys in this world, and I am a Martha. I would like to be a Mary, and I will not stop trying to become one but perhaps I am not "cut out for these lofty heights."
Luke 10: 38-42

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."