On the worth of human beings...

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sue,
Like Michelangelo, the wise man slowly chips away at his attachments to reveal the eternal that is his true self.
Good, I agree. Also at his delusions, such as "I am chipping away at my attachments to reveal the eternal which is my true self." "I am a wise man." The delusion of a true self, versus a false self...I could go on, but I'm sure you already have thought of these things. It's probably better to just agree than to pick apart a sentence.
The fact that most people do not do this, doesn’t necessarily make them “pond scum”, it just means they are feeble-minded. That is, they lack the strength of mind to strive toward individuality. Instead, they meld with the mob, and through them, they gain their personality.

Being so feeble-minded, they cannot be expected to understand anything about good and evil. Only those that are highly conscious are fit for such discriminating. The mob, operating with the barest of consciousness, and at the mercy of their emotions, is incapable of discriminating between what is important and what is not. For example: they consider the day’s events, such as: wars, environmental disasters, celebrity weddings, deaths, taxes and other such social gossip, as being worthy of discussion. But as I said, without the strength of mind to be able to focus on one thing, and one thing only, the mob can’t help but find everything distracting.

That's a good way to look at the situation...I'm glad you don't consider people to be pond scum. An enlightened view!
But; there is some hope for them. They are not total “pond scum”, because there is always a chance that one of them may use that ounce of consciousness they possess to drag themselves away from the mob, and so begin the journey toward becoming an individual.
True, but I feel bad for that one. It's really easy to be part of the mob...ignorance is definitely bliss. It's been tough for me personally, so I feel for anyone who is curious about the truth. It takes over your life so that the mob all leaves you, and you are left completely alone. You may try to go back, but they all talk about things that you don't understand or care about (such as Brangelina, or whatever other silly things are out there...MTV).

I now look at the rest of the world with confusion. Relationships with women have gone from "a lot" to "not". I could go on...but I'll just say this: wisdom is not for the weak.
What “spiritual principles” and “ethical systems” do you recommend?
When I said "spiritual principles" I was talking from the viewpoint of someone reading what I was writing about. I was talking mainly about always doing good. What I recommend is following every major rule that religions have. I also recommend not ever offending anyone...just always being the best person you can be.

Never having a lustful thought...never feeling anger...never lying...never envying someone else's stuff...never wanting what you don't have...etc.
And which philosophers do you consider live according to these principles etc?
I don't know. Why don't we start?
What is “pure and good”?
That which isn't impure and bad, is pure and good. For example, murdering someone. People think it's bad, therefore it is, so don't do it.

Anything that can bring harm to any person in any way is bad and impure. Anything that nourishes and supports a person is good.
Good? Empty? Could you flesh out what you’re driving at here?
By empty, I was talking about Emptiness. Form being in flux, nondual in nature...you should know what this means by now. It's the last chapter in Wisdom of the Infinite. Since the whole world is in flames, and the philosopher being part of the world is as well, why not discipline yourself so that you are good? Why be caused to do good sometimes and bad sometimes? If you know the ultimate truth, you are free to do as you choose...so why not choose to do the right thing always?

It serves as a good test of your level of enlightenment, as well...if you're incapable of doing good for some reason, it's good proof that you still have attachments and delusions. If you can always do good no problem, and you always discern truth effortlessly, you're enlightened.

There...I tried to flesh it out. Tell me if it needs more fleshing.
- Scott
Carrotblog

Post by Carrotblog »

Dear Zag,

your still small voice is easily buried in the accumulating posts, reflecting on the hard and concrete concepts of philosophical life.
Beautiful Miffy of the impenetrable reflection, love wants eternity, and so it must have our distress, sharp reflection on our failings, peerlessness, even solitude in love! Yes only you can go through your own looking-glass, and it is then when it is most loved by others who still see themselves in it however incompletely.
It is true...my dark side has smeared darkness over my reflection; I can not see myself; yet in the darkness, eternity hangs.....and in reflection, as I have tried to transverse into the dimension of life beyond the looking-glass, I have bruised a nose and recoiled in bounced pain, as the concrete world resists my metaphysical fantasy.

Are we to be afraid of where our courage exceeds the courage of others? Considerate where we could be indiscriminate in love?
Alas, how can I be indiscriminate in veritable love? The venereal genius of Nietzsche reminds me that the love of metaphysics can also be tied to tertiary syphillis. Love reflects on itself; and in its reflection, it grows interpersonally, as two become entwined in mind. How is it possible for me to love with body, heart and spirit? My three pronged pitch-fork recoils the rigid farmer with his battery of philosophically rigid concepts, ready to runs a combine harvester in hope of ending field rabbits lorn and laid on a hot summer's day. And what then is love, other than truly reaped?

In love, the philologist searches for a taxonomy, as clear and blood-dried as Linnaeus's own. In love, I search with my 3 pronged pitchfork....prodding the path, here and there, testing the ground for solidity of my one true love.
Do we love imparting our knowledge more than we love it, and if we do, when shall we, humans bunnies and everyone, lay it bare, when will we unveil the erotic as means to finding higher functions of love? Your distinction in life is met for more than its reflectivity little rabbit!
Dear Zag,

metaphysics has never sounded more steamy! Can de Beauvoir follow Sartre, pants riding ankle-high as he espouses love, nihilating love simultaneously? His pants lie half-down. No - they hang half-way up. Half-down or half up? The existentialist himself would declare that there are no pants at all....all is stripped bare, reduced to La Nausee.

Yet in authentic love there is an encounter; a moment which Buber describes in the anticipation of a self and another. If knowledge can be laid bare, and Eros, expressed and recapitulated, I fear - for Hefner is around the corner, and in fear, love is eclipsed before its expression is revealed. There is more than Eros; this much I have in mind. Perhaps I am destined to love only with my three pronged pitch-fork; with all my body; with all my heart, and with all my spirit. I wander on to the ends of this rabbit trail with my three prongs in mind....

However please, my reticience need not delay you. Please, take off your clothes now.
I can see bliss in you!
And mine eyes in yours two!

Lots of love.

xoxoxoxo

Miffy

http://carrotblog.livejournal.com
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

It is true...my dark side has smeared darkness over my reflection; I can not see myself; yet in the darkness, eternity hangs.....and in reflection, as I have tried to transverse into the dimension of life beyond the looking-glass, I have bruised a nose and recoiled in bounced pain, as the concrete world resists my metaphysical fantasy.
But see how thoroughly it lives up to your fantasy! It cannot resist you! We over-expose our darkness or hang it to all eternity, and love, unrelenting, drives us there all the same. My darkness is sadness. The world cannot possibly desire a thinker in love! Cast into thought where conquest, blissful ease, overreaching all acts of creation, would have one taken with all else! If the world were to be free for ones love, one would not bear up to life, but be born in all. To the superhuman!

Alas, how can I be indiscriminate in veritable love?
Never, that's how!
The venereal genius of Nietzsche reminds me that the love of metaphysics can also be tied to tertiary syphillis. Love reflects on itself; and in its reflection, it grows interpersonally, as two become entwined in mind. How is it possible for me to love with body, heart and spirit? My three pronged pitch-fork recoils the rigid farmer with his battery of philosophically rigid concepts, ready to runs a combine harvester in hope of ending field rabbits lorn and laid on a hot summer's day. And what then is love, other than truly reaped?
Free of disease, I still must die! If you are love, and in love, all else is.

All human personality loves. As though love is fled, ones emotions razed to the ground. Ouch! God-damned immortal prong.

Love of metaphysics extends to music luckily, or for the worse.
:D
In love, the philologist searches for a taxonomy, as clear and blood-dried as Linnaeus's own. In love, I search with my 3 pronged pitchfork....prodding the path, here and there, testing the ground for solidity of my one true love.
I am no-ones true love. Love, I have boasted is not as rare as is thought, and also been near death that it is. I still love you, deeply. I don't care that man-up-ship-un stonededness undoes all sense for what isn't.

Dear Zag,

metaphysics has never sounded more steamy! Can de Beauvoir follow Sartre, pants riding ankle-high as he espouses love, nihilating love simultaneously? His pants lie half-down. No - they hang half-way up. Half-down or half up? The existentialist himself would declare that there are no pants at all....all is stripped bare, reduced to La Nausee.
Depending on the frequency of the pants-up-man ship it would indeed appear there were no pants at all.
Yet in authentic love there is an encounter; a moment which Buber describes in the anticipation of a self and another. If knowledge can be laid bare, and Eros, expressed and recapitulated, I fear - for Hefner is around the corner, and in fear, love is eclipsed before its expression is revealed. There is more than Eros; this much I have in mind. Perhaps I am destined to love only with my three pronged pitch-fork; with all my body; with all my heart, and with all my spirit. I wander on to the ends of this rabbit trail with my three prongs in mind....
Encounters.
There is always more to everything of everything else. Love has still to be seen to be eclipsed in revealing its expression and so revealing it after all. We are destined to crash on the rocks of love for ourselves---it would seem!
However please, my reticience need not delay you. Please, take off your clothes now.

And mine eyes in yours two!

Lots of love.

xoxoxoxo

Zag
Blair

Ban this toad

Post by Blair »

I will love suergaz, when it's banned, permanently.
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Poor prince, fear fuck all you mighty midget, all's well that hangs well.

suergaz is too well hung for long sum.
Blair

Post by Blair »

yeah whatever, why don't you just piss off, you are such a lame fuckwit.

Havent you got your rocks off yet, you need to seduce women on this message board, of all places?

What a Loser.
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

I'm seducing a rabbit, you knob-end. Anyone can see that.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

suergaz wrote:I'm seducing a rabbit, you knob-end. Anyone can see that.
I sure can do :D :D :D
---------
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Scott wrote:
Sue: Like Michelangelo, the wise man slowly chips away at his attachments to reveal the eternal that is his true self.
Good, I agree. Also at his delusions, such as "I am chipping away at my attachments to reveal the eternal which is my true self." "I am a wise man." The delusion of a true self, versus a false self...I could go on, but I'm sure you already have thought of these things. It's probably better to just agree than to pick apart a sentence.
No - better to keep picking things apart if the meaning isn’t clear.

Thoughts are mental constructs, but this doesn’t mean that they aren’t useful. They are all we have to understand anything.
Sue: But; there is some hope for them. They are not total “pond scum”, because there is always a chance that one of them may use that ounce of consciousness they possess to drag themselves away from the mob, and so begin the journey toward becoming an individual.
True, but I feel bad for that one. It's really easy to be part of the mob...ignorance is definitely bliss. It's been tough for me personally, so I feel for anyone who is curious about the truth. It takes over your life so that the mob all leaves you, and you are left completely alone. You may try to go back, but they all talk about things that you don't understand or care about (such as Brangelina, or whatever other silly things are out there...MTV).

I now look at the rest of the world with confusion. Relationships with women have gone from "a lot" to "not". I could go on...but I'll just say this: wisdom is not for the weak.
Yes, that is why so few people ever take to philosophy. Cocooned in amongst family and friends is what most people feel is the ‘highest wisdom’.
Sue: What “spiritual principles” and “ethical systems” do you recommend?
When I said "spiritual principles" I was talking from the viewpoint of someone reading what I was writing about. I was talking mainly about always doing good. What I recommend is following every major rule that religions have. I also recommend not ever offending anyone...just always being the best person you can be.

Never having a lustful thought...never feeling anger...never lying...never envying someone else's stuff...never wanting what you don't have...etc.
You can’t be a thinker without offending most people, because most people are ignorant fools. For example: if you have consciously reasoned out that love is one of the causes of hate; politely accepting another person’s point of view that “people will stop hating each other if everyone just showed more love” will only perpetuate their insanity, as well as perpetuate the hatred already existing in the world.

Also, to follow “religious rules” is to follow irrationality. All of society’s rules stem from the need to keep society operating as a whole. The philosopher is an individual, and though he follows the laws of the land, he doesn’t accept or follow the mores and morals of society. He values rationality, and thereby doesn’t need society to stop him from becoming a pedophile, racist, bigamist, sexist, liar, thief, murderer or from indulging in any other irrational occupation. He knows that all these things are based on false understandings, and therefore he doesn’t participate in any of them.

So, if you want people to be the “best person” they can be, encourage them to become rational.
Sue: What is “pure and good”?
That which isn't impure and bad, is pure and good. For example, murdering someone. People think it's bad, therefore it is, so don't do it.

Anything that can bring harm to any person in any way is bad and impure. Anything that nourishes and supports a person is good.
Most people think the greatest harm you can cause someone is to take away their hopes and dreams. The philosopher does exactly this when he speaks the truth. You could say that in this way the philosopher is being “pure and good”, because the suffering he causes may ignite a truthful thought in another. But, of course, most people have no interest in the truth, and consider the philosopher the most evil person on the planet.
If you know the ultimate truth, you are free to do as you choose...so why not choose to do the right thing always?
As I pointed out above, the ‘good’ the philosopher does is hardly ever recognized by anyone else on the entire planet. Not that it is any concern of his, he is just a whim of The Infinite, and everything he does is the work of The Infinite – not his.
It serves as a good test of your level of enlightenment, as well...if you're incapable of doing good for some reason, it's good proof that you still have attachments and delusions. If you can always do good no problem, and you always discern truth effortlessly, you're enlightened.
What you have written above Scott, would have to be some of the weirdest ideas I’ve read for some time.

Let's take a look -

First you've got as a criteria for enlightenment: “doing good”, which in your mind translates out to being nice and kind to others. And then you write that if you can’t be nice and kind to others it shows that you’re not enlightened. You’ve also added that if you are being nice and kind to people it shows that you are “discerning the truth effortlessly”.

I think you need to consider these ideas a lot more.
-
Sue
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sue,
No - better to keep picking things apart if the meaning isn’t clear.
The meaning to myself was clear. I didn't want to keep expounding...that should have been clear to you.
Thoughts are mental constructs, but this doesn’t mean that they aren’t useful. They are all we have to understand anything.
I agree. My point lately is that we must understand our mental constructs.
You can’t be a thinker without offending most people...
Is this a good reason to offend people? Is it a good excuse? No. I think this is faulty reasoning, saying that most people will always be offended by a thinker. They will only be offended by thinkers who want to offend.

Choosing to be a thinker should be about making the right choice. If the budding philosopher wants to hurt others and isolate his or herself, then that's what their philosophy will do. It will offend and it will separate them. But if the budding philosopher recognizes that ignorance causes suffering, and truth sets a person free from suffering, then their message won't offend but it'll inspire hope.

Washed up philosophers should look at their message, and the meaning of it. They should ask themselves "Why would anyone care to listen to this?"

It's all about the delivery of the message. And the delivery is all about the intentions of the deliverer.
For example: if you have consciously reasoned out that love is one of the causes of hate; politely accepting another person’s point of view that “people will stop hating each other if everyone just showed more love” will only perpetuate their insanity, as well as perpetuate the hatred already existing in the world.
First of all, I never said to be polite. I said to be good. That means always choosing the better option, mindfully. Sometimes being polite isn't the better option.

Also, I haven't reasoned out that love is one of the causes of hate. Attachment to love is the cause of hate. Love itself is just love...the thing people call "love" is attachment. It's taking a person and imprisoning them, so that if they step outside the boundaries you set up for them, you become sad/mad/angry/hateful/bitter/whiney/etc.

So if someone said "everyone just needs to show more love" I'd probably agree, then talk to them about what I thought. That if people lost their attachment in love, they'd be a lot more peaceful.

If I chose not to talk to them about what I thought, it'd be because there were some reason that it wasn't good to do so. Perhaps if the person is just too stupid to ever understand, I would let them continue thinking this. You know, "Don't throw pearls to swine..." I realize that in time, as intelligence and laziness spreads, wisdom will also spread. Only when people have nothing to do, do they begin to think about these types of things. "What is the meaning?" Etc. Only when people are smart, do they have the drive to become smarter.

So I think the way our world is turning, soon more people will be interested in these types of things. With women taking over the world, more men will come to think about these things. With women having no men staring at them, women will come to think of these things...because first, philosophy is about boredom and frustration.

My point...letting stupid people remains stupid is okay. If we truly understand causality, we realize that it isn't even in our hands entirely. It's in the hands of God.
Also, to follow “religious rules” is to follow irrationality.
I disagree. I've found religious rules to be pretty rational. Care to give me an example of a few that aren't?
All of society’s rules stem from the need to keep society operating as a whole. The philosopher is an individual, and though he follows the laws of the land, he doesn’t accept or follow the mores and morals of society.
Society is merely a melting pot of potential philosophers. If the more and morals are illogical, then soon society will learn that and follow something more sensible...so long as the philosopher makes his theories known. So long as he carefully teaches his ideas...because the potential philosophers of society may not have the courage yet to withstand the scary thoughts of a philosopher, however true they are...however untrue the society's rules are.

So as you can see, the philosopher should inspire the people. He shouldn't just say things that cause unnecessary fear...take this for example:

A philosopher is walking through the city and stands up on a bench, and starts to teach. He says "Women don't understand anything, and never will. Men are lacking the balls to leave women, and seek understanding." People look at him as if he's insane, and some ask him, "Why can't women ever understand?" To which he proclaims, "Women are unconscious. Look at the way they dress, etc..."

Going about it this way would be wrong. Obviously the philosopher here is avoiding what "understanding" means, and instead talking about the way to understanding. He's purposely bringing up controversy...perhaps as a means to shock people into thinking for themselves. This way doesn't work for most, because it is a pointless teaching. The real teaching should be about the way things are. The philosopher should stand up and talk about the imperminence of things, and how it relates to the people's daily lives...to make them better understand how to cope with their lives, and their misery.

He should offer a message of hope...one that's true of course. He shouldn't say "When you know the truth, you will be in a magical land of unicorns and lollipops that grow out of the ground...which is made of chocolate." He should say what he got out of his philosophy...an ending of suffering, a wisdom, a peacefulness, an understanding of "why?" If he doesn't have those things, then he shouldn't be talking yet.

But like I said before, if he's talking with the interest of offending people, it'll be apparent and of course people will be offended. If he hasn't reaped the rewards of actual philosophy yet, he will be perpetuating his negative emotions on everyone who is listening through his inadequate thoughts. And they will mirror it back to him.
He values rationality, and thereby doesn’t need society to stop him from becoming a pedophile, racist, bigamist, sexist, liar, thief, murderer or from indulging in any other irrational occupation. He knows that all these things are based on false understandings, and therefore he doesn’t participate in any of them.
Yet, there are thinkers out there that have done or are these things. Which is why thinking needs to be made perfectly clear. Even if a person understands emptiness, they won't be free of these "evils" so long as they haven't fully integrated the truth into their awareness. True understanding is fully integrated truth. It's beyond "getting it"; it's "living it". Very few thinkers have done this, because to do this is to lose being a thinker.
So, if you want people to be the “best person” they can be, encourage them to become rational.
People that are rational aren't perfectly rational, and therefore aren't the best person they can be. That's why I'm here encouraging people to become perfectly enlightened, instead of just being stagnant philosophers. That's why I say that imperfect philosophers should try to be good, because in doing so they will align themselves with perfection.
Most people think the greatest harm you can cause someone is to take away their hopes and dreams. The philosopher does exactly this when he speaks the truth.
Those people may be right, but the philosopher doesn't take anything. The person either maintains their hopes and dreams, or gives them to the philosopher and takes the truth instead. It's up to the person...everyone gets what they ask for deep down. If the person wants understanding, he or she will lose everything for it (after some amount of time). If they truly, deeply, want to become the next American Idol...they will be on a path towards acheiving that and will be avoiding the truth in the meantime.

But is it harmful to reveal what's real? Is it harmful to perpetuate the cause of pain? What's real is unavoidable...and the cause of pain is delusion. So I don't think it's harmful to tell the truth.
You could say that in this way the philosopher is being “pure and good”, because the suffering he causes may ignite a truthful thought in another. But, of course, most people have no interest in the truth, and consider the philosopher the most evil person on the planet.
This is kind of an exaggeration. Do you actually ever talk to people about this stuff? I think people get it...it's just that they lack the balls to follow through with living according to the truth. For example, my friend realizes the stupidity of dating girls, yet he does it as if he can't help himself. It's not like he doesn't understand that relationships like that cause suffering, and are pointless. He gets it...but he lacks the balls to follow through with his understanding. Most people are this way, as well. They lack the balls to take on a truthful life. A pastor at my church and I talked about religions, and despite the convincing arguments I put forth about all religions pointing to one truth, he stood firm in his faith. He agreed with me the whole time, yet at the end, couldn't bring himself to say I was right. He was just lacking the balls.

I've talked to a party girl, who only shops and drinks...those are the only things she does. She does nothing else. She doesn't even eat, because she thinks she's fat. I talked to her a few times about the things I thought, and she agreed...yet she still lived her life of drinking, shopping and anorexia. I tried to show her how it relates to her life, but she lacked the balls to become someone new. To live her life in light of the truth. She stored the things I talked with her about in a part of her brain separated from her life.

All of these people lack the balls...and they lack honesty...which ties in with the balls. If you are honest, you are brave.
As I pointed out above, the ‘good’ the philosopher does is hardly ever recognized by anyone else on the entire planet. Not that it is any concern of his, he is just a whim of The Infinite, and everything he does is the work of The Infinite – not his.
I suppose. Does this mean that the philosopher shouldn't continue doing good?
What you have written above Scott, would have to be some of the weirdest ideas I’ve read for some time.
I don't think they're weird...they are sharp logic.
Let's take a look -

First you've got as a criteria for enlightenment: “doing good”, which in your mind translates out to being nice and kind to others. And then you write that if you can’t be nice and kind to others it shows that you’re not enlightened. You’ve also added that if you are being nice and kind to people it shows that you are “discerning the truth effortlessly”.
You aren't understanding what I'm writing about, as is apparent here. Maybe I'm just horrible at explaining what I think. I want to take apart your analysis in parts, because it seems like you're being blatantly dishonest in your observation.
First you've got as a criteria for enlightenment: “doing good”,
No, the criteria for enlightenment is "a total absence of delusion".
"doing good", which in your mind translates out to being nice and kind to others.
You don't know what's going on in my mind, so it's wrong to assume this.

Being nice and kind to others isn't how I translate being good. Being good is about doing the right thing. Choosing the better option. Obviously, the feelings of others are involved in it, since "good" comes from people's feelings.

If a person is threatening to kill five other people, obviously it's better to take out that violent person than let them kill five people. Five people have ten parents who are sad after their deaths. One person has two...therefore, it's better to kill that one violent person than to be good by not, and allow them to kill the five others.

You have to break some eggs to make an omelette. But breaking eggs without thinking of what you're making is wrong. That'll just be a mess. So the philosopher should always keep the purpose of his action in his mind, and should clearly think about the implication of each action. To put it simply: he should do what's right.
And then you write that if you can’t be nice and kind to others it shows that you’re not enlightened.
If you aren't good, you're unenlightened. The enlightened have no reason to be bad. Bad people have reasons to be the way they are..."I have strong feelings of lust, therefore I act on them"..."I feel horrible, therefore I take it out on others by being rude", etc.

If the enlightened person is thinking about women naked, there's obviously delusion in that person, and they're obviously unenlightened. Or if they're thinking about feeling horrible, or about taking it out on others. All of these types of things have nothing to do with an awareness of truth.

When a person has a permanent awareness of truth, with no delusion in them, there's no way they can do anything wrong. They will be celibate, because there are no thoughts of sex. Non-violent because there are no thoughts of violence. Peaceful, because there are no thoughts of suffering. All goodness is just a natural product of their awareness of truth.

Like you said before, the philosopher has no need for the evils of the world, because...
He knows that all these things are based on false understandings, and therefore he doesn’t participate in any of them.
However for the enlightened, it's not a choice. The enlightened can't choose between true understanding and false understanding, because all that there is for him is true. Therefore, the philosopher has the capacity for evil, but the enlightened is pure. Philosophers haven't perfected their philosophy until they live it...so they must align themselves with goodness. If they are unable to, they see their own faults and delusion. Say for example, if the philosopher attempts to become celibate and is unable to. If he's honest with himself, he'll see that his inability is caused by his unenlightened mind. He'll see that delusion springs up in him, despite his learned wisdom. Hopefully, he has the balls to recognize it.
You’ve also added that if you are being nice and kind to people it shows that you are “discerning the truth effortlessly”.
I never said that. But if you're discerning the truth effortlessly, then you will be good naturally.
I think you need to consider these ideas a lot more.
Why not? It's definitely good to do so. It's good to have you here to question the ideas, so that I do so...so thank you, Sue.
- Scott
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Scott,

In your last post, (July 4th) you wrote about the philosopher as if he is concerned about the world and its people, but this is incorrect. The philosopher’s only interest is Truth. He may talk of the need for our species to survive, but that is because of Truth, not man. From what you wrote I get the impression that you imagine the philosopher to be a mix of the Christian Jesus and a gun carrying wild-west sheriff. Helping the ignorant by showing them the error of their way, taking care not to offend others, a gentle and caring teacher who shares his great wisdom because of the love he has for all creation, a man who shows his wisdom by shooting one man to protect five others.

You wrote that “choosing to be a thinker should be about making the right choice”. This doesn’t make any sense at all. Having made the decision to become a thinker, your only focus is Truth. From then on in, truth is what you live by. I gave as an example in my previous post the truth that love is a cause of hate. This is because all things are dualistic: love/hate, peace/war, loss/gain, etc. If you go about loving things and people, you are at the same time creating the circumstances for hate to arise. If you hate, you are creating the circumstances for love to arise. And because, as a thinker, you value Truth over your very life, you will live according to this truth. This means you neither love, nor hate any thing. This isn’t a choice. You’re a thinker, and a thinker lives according to the truth.

You also seem to have the idea that the thinker should be worried about protecting people from suffering -
If a person is threatening to kill five other people, obviously it's better to take out that violent person than let them kill five people. Five people have ten parents who are sad after their deaths. One person has two...therefore, it's better to kill that one violent person than to be good by not, and allow them to kill the five others.
The lives of people are of no consequence to the thinker. If people continue to believe in love/hate, good/bad, and the self, they cannot be expected to act rationally and will therefore kill, love, disrespect, and mourn each other.

You continued on by saying that “the philosopher should always keep the purpose of his action in his mind, and should clearly think about the implication of each action”. You’re on the right track here, but remember that the philosopher’s only motivation is the truth, so that the only “purpose of his action” is to act according to the truth. Depending on his level of enlightenment, the “implication of each action”, or consequence of each action, could possibly aid the furtherance of truth.

So when you write that “he should do what's right” you’re asking something of him that isn’t part of his existence. He is a servant of the Infinite, not of humanity. Caring one way or another about people’s well being hasn’t anything to do with him.
-
Sue
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sue,
In your last post, (July 4th) you wrote about the philosopher as if he is concerned about the world and its people, but this is incorrect. The philosopher’s only interest is Truth.
We're in agreement here.
He may talk of the need for our species to survive, but that is because of Truth, not man.
Wrong...that would be for humanity's attainment of truth.
From what you wrote I get the impression that you imagine the philosopher to be a mix of the Christian Jesus and a gun carrying wild-west sheriff. Helping the ignorant by showing them the error of their way, taking care not to offend others, a gentle and caring teacher who shares his great wisdom because of the love he has for all creation, a man who shows his wisdom by shooting one man to protect five others.
I definitely don't view the philosopher that way. Both the Christian concept of Jesus, and the idea of a wild west sherrif, are poor examples of what a philosopher should be. I do think the philosopher always does good, so long as he values truth. If it isn't so, then he's valuing something else (such as enlightening people, or trying to become enlightened).
You wrote that “choosing to be a thinker should be about making the right choice”. This doesn’t make any sense at all.
There comes a point in a person's life when they either choose to be truthful, or choose to be something else. There is always a reason, or a few reasons, why that person chooses to go whatever route they do. At that turning point, they may have already been into philosophy and learned a lot...the turning point is about what they are going to do with their life. They think, "Should I go further, or should I stay put or maybe even back off?" If they go further, there are reasons. They might choose to go further just for the sake of pushing it. It might be because they think it'll do the world good to have such a thinker in it. It might be to completely dispel suffering, by fully realizing this truth.

When that person makes this choice, it should be for the right reasons. If it's not, it won't blossom into actual philosophy. Philosophy is in line with goodness. It's not about being against the world...that's for philosophers who haven't progressed in their awareness of the truth. Philosophy necessarily makes one a good person, and goodness flows from them despite their not trying to be good. Just think about it: non-attachment, dispassion...these things are fundamental to being good. If the philosopher is "bad", it's because there's something still inside of him that's comprimising his philosophy. Such as the desire to enlighten others, or to make himself look good..etc.

If there's truly truth, truly dispassion and non-attachment because of that truth, then there's truly goodness.
Having made the decision to become a thinker, your only focus is Truth. From then on in, truth is what you live by. I gave as an example in my previous post the truth that love is a cause of hate. This is because all things are dualistic: love/hate, peace/war, loss/gain, etc. If you go about loving things and people, you are at the same time creating the circumstances for hate to arise. If you hate, you are creating the circumstances for love to arise. And because, as a thinker, you value Truth over your very life, you will live according to this truth. This means you neither love, nor hate any thing. This isn’t a choice. You’re a thinker, and a thinker lives according to the truth.
If the philosopher loves something, he betrays the truth and necessarily creates attachment. If he values "the truth", that's another foothold where he may fail. Another attachment. In valuing the truth, he isn't truly valuing the truth since he's making himself do something.

Truthfulness is a natural consequence of the choices he made, and it's an effortless action on his part. Therefore, by the philosopher's very nature, there's no way he can cause love by hate or hate by love.

In fact, I don't think non-philosophers do that either. It isn't that simple. If someone loves something, hate isn't waiting in the background. Light and dark aren't opposite principles. Darkness is an absence of light, and light is a real thing. Hate is a negative emotion, and love is...well love can be pretty much anything nowadays. My point is it's not so simple.

But I think I agreed with you about the philosopher.
You also seem to have the idea that the thinker should be worried about protecting people from suffering -
If the thinker isn't thinking about the truth, he should be thinking about good things. He should always choose to do the right thing, when there's a choice and he's not thinking of the truth.
The lives of people are of no consequence to the thinker. If people continue to believe in love/hate, good/bad, and the self, they cannot be expected to act rationally and will therefore kill, love, disrespect, and mourn each other.
If you honestly say that no one's life matters to you, then you are a strange person. If you're completely unaffected by death because of things you've learned about emptiness. I'd say you were a liar. Of course, most philosophers understand that life and death are illusory...but understanding that is far from living it. Thinking that you're living it is false, because that thought is a delusion.

Basically, to avoid all confusion, just be honest. If you would feel bad when a close friend died, then admit it. Of course, not all philosophers are perfect. I don't think they should make themselves bad in order to become perfect. Bad being indifferent to things like a loved one's death.

In my opinion, anyone who believes they're indifferent is just deluded and probably lives too closed off. It's not truth to say such a thing.
You continued on by saying that “the philosopher should always keep the purpose of his action in his mind, and should clearly think about the implication of each action”. You’re on the right track here, but remember that the philosopher’s only motivation is the truth, so that the only “purpose of his action” is to act according to the truth. Depending on his level of enlightenment, the “implication of each action”, or consequence of each action, could possibly aid the furtherance of truth.
Acting according to the truth...that's a messy subject. Especially when you get into a "furtherance of truth"...then a person may, for example, start killing female infants so that there are more men and thus more philosophers.

Of course this is wrong. If you think that it would be a wise thing to do that, you haven't gone far enough in truthfulness.
So when you write that “he should do what's right” you’re asking something of him that isn’t part of his existence.
To a true philosopher, there is right and wrong.
He is a servant of the Infinite, not of humanity. Caring one way or another about people’s well being hasn’t anything to do with him.
Perhaps. Like I said before, if he isn't permanently immersed in truth, he is probably aware that he has a choice between right and wrong things. To avoid morality while remaining deluded is not philosophy, it's delusion. So the rule should be...if you see a choice between right and wrong, choose right.

When the philosopher is so immersed in the Infinite that he isn't aware of such things, then morality can be dropped. You can't skip it, though.
- Scott
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Scott,

I asked you a few posts back, “which philosophers do you consider live according to these principles etc?” and you replied, “I don't know”. I’d like to ask you the same question again if I may, because your ideas about the characteristics of the philosopher are somewhat topsy- turvy. If you’d tell me about the thinkers you value, I might then be able to understand your point of view better.
-
Sue
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

sschaula wrote:
Sue: The lives of people are of no consequence to the thinker. If people continue to believe in love/hate, good/bad, and the self, they cannot be expected to act rationally and will therefore kill, love, disrespect, and mourn each other.
If you honestly say that no one's life matters to you, then you are a strange person. If you're completely unaffected by death because of things you've learned about emptiness. I'd say you were a liar. Of course, most philosophers understand that life and death are illusory...but understanding that is far from living it. Thinking that you're living it is false, because that thought is a delusion.
So, it is okay to know that ‘life and death’ are illusory, but living according to that truth is “a delusion”? How?
Basically, to avoid all confusion, just be honest. If you would feel bad when a close friend died, then admit it. Of course, not all philosophers are perfect. I don't think they should make themselves bad in order to become perfect. Bad being indifferent to things like a loved one's death.
What “loved ones”? What “death”?

The people I ‘know’ are not the same people in any two consecutive moments. For me to take seriously the concept of death I’d have to mourn their death every moment of everyday, and of course that would be absurd.

Commonly, we talk about a person’s life beginning at birth and ending at death, but if you take a closer look at these two concepts, neither of them actually takes place. For example: the delivered baby did not just pop into existence. Before delivery, it had been in the womb growing and changing, and before that it was the sperm impregnated egg. Before that it was a sperm amongst many other sperm, and an egg amongst many other eggs. And before that… I think you get the picture.

Death is the same. But perhaps you see it differently. Keeping in mind the truth that all things are causally related, can you explain to me what you think death is?
In my opinion, anyone who believes they're indifferent is just deluded and probably lives too closed off. It's not truth to say such a thing.
"No one can be a slave to two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot be a slave to both God and Money." Luke 16:13

Or in this case: you can't love God, and your friends and family as well.
-
Sue
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sue,
I asked you a few posts back, “which philosophers do you consider live according to these principles etc?” and you replied, “I don't know”. I’d like to ask you the same question again if I may, because your ideas about the characteristics of the philosopher are somewhat topsy- turvy. If you’d tell me about the thinkers you value, I might then be able to understand your point of view better.
I don't have anyone to value. I really don't know.
So, it is okay to know that ‘life and death’ are illusory, but living according to that truth is “a delusion”? How?
That's twisting my point around.

If you understand that life and death are illusory, yet that truth isn't experienced in your life (if you're still falling for illusions, and only have learned to think a certain way), then denying life and death is dishonest. How can you become truthful if you're not honest?

It's easy to say "death is just change...a baby is never born, since an egg and sperm were the baby beforehand, and a person never dies because their body goes into the ground and fertilizes it. That body from that sperm and egg nourishes an apple tree, which someone eats..." It's easy to think along those lines.

I don't think it's as easy to experience the death of the closest person to you and say "they were just a part of the endless changing". Sure, it's true, but my point is that it's not honest to fight what's welling up within you in order to become truthful. Taking the image of truth and jamming it into your brain, denying who you are, only represses who you are. It doesn't create good ground for the truth. How can you experience the truth when these things are welling up within you? When you're falling for life and death's illusion?

I don't know. What I do know is that you need to be honest in order to experience the truth. You can't lie the truth into your mind.
What “loved ones”? What “death”?
You don't have anyone close to you? You aren't aware that they change into something else, dying?

Like I said, you can try to push the things you've reasoned out into your head, but it's not going to work. They will remain an annoying mantra, and you will remain a bored chanter. Experiencing the things you've reasoned out must take some skill.
The people I ‘know’ are not the same people in any two consecutive moments. For me to take seriously the concept of death I’d have to mourn their death every moment of everyday, and of course that would be absurd.
Well, that's stretching things to make a point. To be most honest, a person dies when they stop breathing, their heart stops beating and their brain stops working. That's what death is. Funny how thinkers never want to define anything correctly.

Of course your point is that death is just a change into something new. Think of the feeling you have thinking about that. Kind of feels free, as if you could do anything? Yet, does that feeling remain there when your best friend dies? I'm not trying to catch you, Sue. I'm just trying to make the point I mentioned earlier...that thinkers need to perfect themselves in order to reflect the truth perfectly. Thinkers need to be emptied of latent impressions, so that when their best friend dies, there isn't some fluctuation in their being. Permanent truth experienced. No changes.

Until then, the thinker can try to jam into their brain, at the funeral..."My best friend, oh my, he isn't dead he is just changed into a new thing." But doing this jamming won't cut it, I don't think.

I don't know what would work.
"No one can be a slave to two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot be a slave to both God and Money." Luke 16:13

Or in this case: you can't love God, and your friends and family as well.
While I agree with you, I don't think it's right to take a saying and twist it so much. But that's a whole different subject.

If someone loves reality, they are still deluded. They will definitely be deluded. Love, or "valuing", is a stupid feeling. It isn't a person taking things for what they are, it's a person changes the way things are for something.

Imagine a person who experiences the truth effortlessly. How can there be any love for the truth? That'd be like having love for your heart pumping. You don't love that, because you kind of take it for granted (not that you should change this). It's just something normal that doesn't matter.

So the perfect thinker doesn't need to jam truth in their mind. They don't need to love it. They don't need to reason it out anymore. Whatever they do is okay, be it loving people and mourning death (not that they'd do that), because they are constantly living the truth.

That should be aimed for. Anything less is worthless to the person that truly values the truth.
- Scott
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Scott wrote:
Sue: I asked you a few posts back, “which philosophers do you consider live according to these principles etc?” and you replied, “I don't know”. I’d like to ask you the same question again if I may, because your ideas about the characteristics of the philosopher are somewhat topsy- turvy. If you’d tell me about the thinkers you value, I might then be able to understand your point of view better.
I don't have anyone to value. I really don't know.
What about Swami-G? You’ve said that she is enlightened. Are you saying you don’t hold her in high esteem?
Sue: So, it is okay to know that ‘life and death’ are illusory, but living according to that truth is “a delusion”? How?
That's twisting my point around.

If you understand that life and death are illusory, yet that truth isn't experienced in your life (if you're still falling for illusions, and only have learned to think a certain way), then denying life and death is dishonest. How can you become truthful if you're not honest?
I know that you have difficulty with the fact that the philosophic path is one of stages. Because of this, you're not able to see that during a person’s philosophical development their intellectual understanding of Truth can mature over time into a deeper understanding. What is preventing you from seeing this point is that you do not trust your own mind enough to be able to accept logical truth even when it is staring you in the face. You want to live in your own topsy-turvy world where you’ve created a concept of the philosopher that is so vague and inconsistent, that it will allow you to safely sit back and mull over it for the rest of your life. In this way, you can rest assure that you will never have to worry about facing the truth about anything.
It's easy to say "death is just change...a baby is never born, since an egg and sperm were the baby beforehand, and a person never dies because their body goes into the ground and fertilizes it. That body from that sperm and egg nourishes an apple tree, which someone eats..." It's easy to think along those lines.
“Easy”! - But not worthy of consideration?

Yes, let’s not let a little thing like truth get in the way of loving and hugging.
I don't think it's as easy to experience the death of the closest person to you and say "they were just a part of the endless changing". Sure, it's true, but my point is that it's not honest to fight what's welling up within you in order to become truthful. Taking the image of truth and jamming it into your brain, denying who you are, only represses who you are. It doesn't create good ground for the truth. How can you experience the truth when these things are welling up within you? When you're falling for life and death's illusion?

I don't know. What I do know is that you need to be honest in order to experience the truth. You can't lie the truth into your mind.
You're at least correct about the fact that you “don’t know”. All the rest is just herd mentality, which you idiotically hold up to this forum as if you were saying something important. What you fail to understand is that a person who thinks the way you have described above is definitely not a thinker. They’re just out to preserve their emotional attachments with no care for truth what so ever. This sort of celebration of ignorance is not the first step to becoming a thinker – it is the last step into the burning fires of hell.
Sue: What “loved ones”? What “death”?
You don't have anyone close to you? You aren't aware that they change into something else, dying?
Things exist only in their causes. But of course, in your 't-t' world, things have inherent existence.
Like I said, you can try to push the things you've reasoned out into your head, but it's not going to work. They will remain an annoying mantra, and you will remain a bored chanter. Experiencing the things you've reasoned out must take some skill.
If what you have reasoned out is undeniably the truth, there is no need to “push” anything anywhere. And reasoning takes “skill”; “experiencing” only depends on what you value.

-

The rest of what you wrote in your last post deals with the same issues as above.

One thing is obvious in your work, and that is your confusion about all of the issues we have been discussing. A prerequisite for becoming a thinker is a good understanding of cause and effect, as without it, errors and confusion arise. If you honestly want to become a thinker, then some time considering cause and effect may be beneficial to you.

But, I do wonder why you’d even consider becoming a thinker when you obviously consider all thinkers to be idiots.
Funny how thinkers never want to define anything correctly.
Or perhaps this is your definition of a thinker, which then explains why so much of your work is irrational.
-
Sue
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Sue,
What about Swami-G? You’ve said that she is enlightened. Are you saying you don’t hold her in high esteem?
While it's true that she's my guru, I don't hold her in high esteem as a philosopher or thinker. I do think she's enlightened.
I know that you have difficulty with the fact that the philosophic path is one of stages. Because of this, you're not able to see that during a person’s philosophical development their intellectual understanding of Truth can mature over time into a deeper understanding. What is preventing you from seeing this point is that you do not trust your own mind enough to be able to accept logical truth even when it is staring you in the face. You want to live in your own topsy-turvy world where you’ve created a concept of the philosopher that is so vague and inconsistent, that it will allow you to safely sit back and mull over it for the rest of your life. In this way, you can rest assure that you will never have to worry about facing the truth about anything.
You twist my words to fit your own idea of who I am. I believe there are stages on the path, corresponding to new understandings. You realize a new element of the truth, it sinks into your daily life, and you live that way from then on, as if you're on a new step of the staircase. Certainly there are stages of understanding. It happens to me nearly everyday.

I was talking about enlightenment, when I said there are no stages. A person either is or isn't...and that's mostly about the definition of enlightenment.
“Easy”! - But not worthy of consideration?

Yes, let’s not let a little thing like truth get in the way of loving and hugging.
Loving and hugging? When did I say a philosopher should do that? I said they should do the right thing. How does that equate to loving and hugging?

Of course, the scenario is worthy of consideration, since it is the way things are. The more you consider it, the more you're a philosopher. But to become enlightened, it takes more than thinking about the truth, since in thinking about the truth you are building "the truth" upon delusions (the ego).
You're at least correct about the fact that you “don’t know”. All the rest is just herd mentality, which you idiotically hold up to this forum as if you were saying something important. What you fail to understand is that a person who thinks the way you have described above is definitely not a thinker. They’re just out to preserve their emotional attachments with no care for truth what so ever. This sort of celebration of ignorance is not the first step to becoming a thinker – it is the last step into the burning fires of hell.
You're clearly misunderstanding what I'm saying, then.

Tell me, Sue, do you only experience the truth all day long? Or do you have moments of delusion, where you get caught up in the world?

I'll answer for you, since I already know...you don't experience the truth all day long. Therefore, you're unenlightened. You may be a clear thinker, and you may know quite a bit, but you are still stuck in the burning fires of hell. It's nothing special to be chained down to the pits, and to momentarily climb up to heaven to get a breath of fresh air.

Why would I take your word about the firey pits of hell and how to avoid them, when you haven't avoided them? You've gained some knowledge, but no wisdom, because anything less than perfect wisdom is just for fools.

You've thought out that all things are empty, yet for all you've learned, you're still stuck in maya. You just repeat to yourself the truths you've uncovered, without experiencing them directly. Surely, you don't know the way to Nirvana. Why would I listen to you, or anyone who has attained what you've attained?

I've attained that as well and wasn't satisfied. It's not enlightenment, and it's not a stage of enlightenment. It's dog crap, and is worthless. Why would anyone ever seek that out?

What I seek out is perfect wisdom, that doesn't come and go. You don't have to go through a logical process to experience the truth of reality...that's what I seek out. The undefiled state of truthfulness. No delusion whatsoever.

Yet you say that is hell?
Things exist only in their causes. But of course, in your 't-t' world, things have inherent existence.
Of course...I'm unenlightened! In both of our worlds, that's the way things seem to be.

Make sure you haven't created a world for yourself that you think is clear, because any world you've created is illusory. Make sure that what you experience is reality.
If what you have reasoned out is undeniably the truth, there is no need to “push” anything anywhere. And reasoning takes “skill”; “experiencing” only depends on what you value.
Experiencing depends on how filtered your view is. If you have a process which you enable, so that you reach the truth, then that's something filtering reality (it also shows that you begin in delusion, revealing that there is more stuff in the way of purely experiencing the truth). When you're free of these things, then you should think, so that your thinking is undefiled.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge what I'm saying as the typical run of the mill new age meditator spiritualist bullshit. That only makes you look stupid once people start realizing that what I'm sayinig is true. Specifically, that you can't think clearly with latent impressions.
The rest of what you wrote in your last post deals with the same issues as above.

One thing is obvious in your work, and that is your confusion about all of the issues we have been discussing.
I could say the same for you, and disagree with what you said for me. What could I have possibly been confused about?
A prerequisite for becoming a thinker is a good understanding of cause and effect, as without it, errors and confusion arise. If you honestly want to become a thinker, then some time considering cause and effect may be beneficial to you.
While I agree with you, there aren't any errors or confusion on my side. There's also no desire to become a thinker, since that's already what I am.
But, I do wonder why you’d even consider becoming a thinker when you obviously consider all thinkers to be idiots.
I don't think all thinkers are idiots. Then who could possibly be smart...a non thinker? They are the idiots. But if any thinker is an idiot, it's one that is a part time thinker.
Or perhaps this is your definition of a thinker, which then explains why so much of your work is irrational.
Point out one thing that's irrational, and I'll help you understand it, because everything I'm talking about comes from reasoning. Please, do it, because it's obvious you don't understand what I'm talking about. I will explain anything I've said.
- Scott
Gretchen

Thinkers and Philosphers

Post by Gretchen »

Each one has a path back to God. The path is one (s)he walks alone. It seems to compare notes is irrelevant. What leads one person to the truth may be a side street that another person completely ignores, and yet both seek the same end.

Being a thinker seems, to me, to be different than being a philosopher. A philosopher, by definition, is one who studies beliefs accepted as authoritative by various groups or schools, whereas, a thinker doesn't define their seeking by rules, but by living.

I agree that thinkers live in a "different world" because they have realized that they are not of "this" world. It makes "this" world a difficult place in which to dwell and the sought after path an oasis.

Regards, Sue and Scott

Edit: As an example of perception, in dealing with the "good" man vs "bad" man and the five "good" people....

Thinking Man=allegedly neutral
Bad Man= father of an as yet born child, quite normal and law abiding 99% of the time
Good Man #1= 20 year old pregnant woman
Good Man #2= Anesthesiologist
Good Man #3= Doctor who performs abortions
Good Man #4= Nurse Assistant
Good Man #5= Nurse Assistant

Good Man #1 wants to abort the baby because she is not married and does not love the father. She doesn't listen to reason. He begs her to have the baby and he will leave with it never seeing her again. She refuses. He heads for the clinic with a gun to stop the abortion, not to kill. Thinking man sees him about to enter the clinic and blows him away.

In that case, is the "Bad" man really bad?

And James...would Infinite, Truth, Ultimate Being have been more appropriate? I would hope there would be room for all types of thinkers and philosophers here.
Last edited by Gretchen on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Each one has a path back to God.
Regards, Sue and Scott

Fuck off you idiot preachers.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Passthrough wrote,
Edit: As an example of perception, in dealing with the "good" man vs "bad" man and the five "good" people....

Thinking Man=allegedly neutral
Bad Man= father of an as yet born child, quite normal and law abiding 99% of the time
Good Man #1= 20 year old pregnant woman
Good Man #2= Anesthesiologist
Good Man #3= Doctor who performs abortions
Good Man #4= Nurse Assistant
Good Man #5= Nurse Assistant

Good Man #1 wants to abort the baby because she is not married and does not love the father. She doesn't listen to reason. He begs her to have the baby and he will leave with it never seeing her again. She refuses. He heads for the clinic with a gun to stop the abortion, not to kill. Thinking man sees him about to enter the clinic and blows him away.

In that case, is the "Bad" man really bad?
The "Bad man" is only bad if he does something bad. Going somplace with a gun isn't bad unless it's illegal...and comparatively that isn't so bad, unless something more illegal is done with the gun.

The "Thinking man" obviously wasn't thinking when he shot the man with the gun. Being a thinker, he should know that unless you understand what's going on, you don't know what's going on. Seeing a man walking into an abortion clinic with a gun can lead people to believe all sorts of things, but what if that person were an undercover officer or something? The thinking man in this situation was wrong.

Was the thinker bad, though? It could be said that he was bad, but perhaps something led him to believe that the man with the gun was a criminal...lets say he saw the man grab an innocent person to use as a hostage. That would definitely be a good reason to think a person is a criminal, because what upstanding citizen takes a hostage with a gun?

Goodness or badness depends on the intention of the doer, as well as the deed done. If a bad deed was done with good intention, the doer isn't bad, just wrong.

The "Good man #1" wasn't a good (wo)man. Having a child takes two people, and the woman shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not the man can raise the child. Besides, if killing people in this society is something to be scolded then how is killing babies legal?

That takes us into the rest of the "Good men"...are they doing what's right? Abortion is a tricky issue because the law of morality is basically: "whatever everyone else thinks is good, is good." So even though a lot of people disagree with abortion, there are also a lot of people that think it's fine...making it hard to say which one it is. Killing a person is killing a person, though. If that's illegal in the society, so should abortion be.

The law of morality saying that majority rules is obviously stupid.

Are the doctors and nurses at the clinic doing what they truly believe is correct? Of course, they're average people and shouldn't be expected to be saints or anything, but if they saw this devastated man who wanted his child and saw this woman denying him that right, then would they still go through with the procedure?

Every choice everyone makes should cause the greatest good, otherwise they shouldn't be called a "good man". It's bad to cause misery, and it's good to cause peace. If the doctors and nurses at the clinic did the procedure because it's their job, they aren't good people.

So really, the whole situation is flipped. The bad man is the only good one, and everyone else who was thought to be good is actually bad. The thinker wasn't even a thinker.
- Scott
Cathy Preston

Post by Cathy Preston »

sschaula:
The "Bad man" is only bad if he does something bad. Going somplace with a gun isn't bad unless it's illegal...and comparatively that isn't so bad, unless something more illegal is done with the gun.
More Illegal?

sschaula:
The "Thinking man" obviously wasn't thinking when he shot the man with the gun. Being a thinker, he should know that unless you understand what's going on, you don't know what's going on. Seeing a man walking into an abortion clinic with a gun can lead people to believe all sorts of things, but what if that person were an undercover officer or something? The thinking man in this situation was wrong.
It's a little late to understand what's going on after you're already dead. Seeing a man walking into an abortion clinic is not without some history and it usually dosen't end well. The fact is he wasn't an undercover cop, and never identified himself as such.

sschaula:
The "Good man #1" wasn't a good (wo)man. Having a child takes two people, and the woman shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not the man can raise the child. Besides, if killing people in this society is something to be scolded then how is killing babies legal?
Suppose she had never told the man she was pregnant, he would of had no knowledge of it what so ever, and suppose she moved away had the child and raised it without the man ever knowing he had a child. The fact is it does not take two to have a child. It may take two to get pregnant, but here again you only actually need the sperm or cell (and a womb) not the donor. Is birth control a form of killing babies? Lots of birth control methods involve making the womb inhospitable for the growth of an impregnated cell, rather than preventing sperm to get into the cell in the first place.

sschaula:
That takes us into the rest of the "Good men"...are they doing what's right? Abortion is a tricky issue because the law of morality is basically: "whatever everyone else thinks is good, is good." So even though a lot of people disagree with abortion, there are also a lot of people that think it's fine...making it hard to say which one it is. Killing a person is killing a person, though. If that's illegal in the society, so should abortion be.
You personal measure of Good is based upon the masses?

sschaula:
The law of morality saying that majority rules is obviously stupid.
You say here its stupid so why even bring it up?

Also, if a man gives himself a hand job is he killing a person, or maybe even people? Because the fact is that without the sperm there would be no person in the first place.

sschaula:
but if they saw this devastated man who wanted his child and saw this woman denying him that right, then would they still go through with the procedure?
If he's a typical man he's wasting his precious little darlings at an alarming rate, why not nurture one of those? Surrogate mothers are not that uncommon these days.

sschaula:
Every choice everyone makes should cause the greatest good, otherwise they shouldn't be called a "good man". It's bad to cause misery, and it's good to cause peace. If the doctors and nurses at the clinic did the procedure because it's their job, they aren't good people.
So its good to lie to someone to keep the peace? Pulling out someone's rotten tooth would be bad? If the doctors and nurses at the clinic believed they were doing the right thing that makes them good people? What if the nurse believed she was doing the right thing, while at the same time believed doing the right thing involved killing certain people under her care that she deemed unworthy.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Cathy,
More Illegal?
Yes, like murdering someone. There are degrees of illegality. Getting a parking ticket is less of an offense than getting a speeding ticket...spitting on the sidewalk is less of an offense than killing a cop.
It's a little late to understand what's going on after you're already dead.
Yes...but what are you talking about? The thinker? He doesn't die in this scenario.
Seeing a man walking into an abortion clinic is not without some history and it usually dosen't end well. The fact is he wasn't an undercover cop, and never identified himself as such.

Yes, but it was a scenario. A "what if". It is supposed to help you think.

The fact is that a thinking person shouldn't act out on mere appearances, but should look more into what's actually going on. That was my point.
Suppose she had never told the man she was pregnant, he would of had no knowledge of it what so ever, and suppose she moved away had the child and raised it without the man ever knowing he had a child.
Now here is another "what if", except this one isn't relevent at all. Why isn't it? Because the scenario I put forth showed how the thinker should have been thinking more. Yours puts forth...not much of anything besides changing the actual situation and trying to defend the woman by doing so.

But lets say that this was the case...then the man would never have gotten a gun and tried to go to the abortion clinic. He would have no knowledge of the child, living or dead. If the woman hid the child from the man, knowing that he'd want to know his own child, then she'd be wrong. Even if she knew he didn't want a child, she should still let him know what happened...unless of course, he would hurt the child. In that case, she would be blameless for lying.
The fact is it does not take two to have a child. It may take two to get pregnant, but here again you only actually need the sperm or cell (and a womb) not the donor. Is birth control a form of killing babies? Lots of birth control methods involve making the womb inhospitable for the growth of an impregnated cell, rather than preventing sperm to get into the cell in the first place.
Personally, I think the most effective form of birth control is not having sex. I was watching the news last night, and they were saying that premature births are due to previously used birth control pills. Everytime I see some new groundbreaking discovery like this, I just say "duh". Duh duh duh, you idiots.

But that's not the point. The point is that it takes two to tango, and one to have a kid. The man doesn't go through pregnancy. My rebuttal is: so what?

Another point/question you bring up is: where does a baby begin and end? A baby begins when the sperm and egg combine...so it could be said that destroying the fertilized egg is abortion. I have no problem saying that, and that doing so should be illegal as long as killing people is illegal.
You personal measure of Good is based upon the masses?
What do you think?
You say here its stupid so why even bring it up?
Because it's relevant. Should I never bring up what's commonly thought, just because it's wrong? If I only talked about what I thought it wouldn't make sense, because it's not compared to what's common....so I compare the truth to common things so that it makes more sense. So readers have a stepping stone between their state of mind and mine.
Also, if a man gives himself a hand job is he killing a person, or maybe even people? Because the fact is that without the sperm there would be no person in the first place.
You could think that.
If he's a typical man he's wasting his precious little darlings at an alarming rate, why not nurture one of those? Surrogate mothers are not that uncommon these days.
He could do that, yet in this situation he got the woman pregnant. He already created the child, with one of his "precious little darlings".

It's not as simple sometimes as someone saying "I want to create a child." I can't imagine the man saying calmly, "well I will just go to a surrogate mother now" once his child is aborted.

There's not some weird drive in men like that.
So its good to lie to someone to keep the peace?
Something is good when it causes the best effects to happen, so if lying causes the best effects to come about, then it's the best thing to do.

Think about being honest 100% of the time. Can't you see situations where this would be bad?
Pulling out someone's rotten tooth would be bad?
Rotten tooth? I don't know where you came up with this.
If the doctors and nurses at the clinic believed they were doing the right thing that makes them good people?
They are innocent if they believe they're doing the right thing...but if what they believe is the right thing, is actually the wrong thing, then of course they're wrong....but they're still innocent.

Make sense?
What if the nurse believed she was doing the right thing, while at the same time believed doing the right thing involved killing certain people under her care that she deemed unworthy.
There are some serial killers that have said God himself mandated them to kill people. Of course they sound crazy, but it seems like they believe it's the right thing to do.

Does that mean I agree with them? No. I don't think killing people is good, seeing the amount of grief it causes. Even in the situation where killing a person makes the world a better place...it's a tough decision. Bad things don't create good things, usually.

But sometimes you have to do a bad thing. I was watching this movie, A History of Violence, where these people were all in a diner and a few "bad guys" came in holding the place up and threatening people. One man defended everyone by killing the bad guys.

Sure it's not good to kill people, but watching people get tortured and killed while doing nothing is the same as torturing and killing the people yourself.

So it always comes back to: do what's best. Make the better choice.

So in the situation you put forth, the nurse killing unworthy people...she may be innocent (if she TRULY believes in what she's doing) but she's wrong. She hasn't thought about all of the consequences of her actions.

Think of goodness like one kind of cancer, and badness like another. If you feed goodness, it spreads throughout the world. If you feed badness, it spreads throughout the world. Actions usually feed both good and bad, spreading both. Being good is about doing things that spread good the most.
- Scott
Cathy Preston

Post by Cathy Preston »

No the thinker dosen't die in this scenario because he shoots the man with the gun..... was it wrong for his survival instinct to kick in and ensure his longevity? You say that a thinking person shouldn't act out on mere appearances but you yourself are making specific judgements based on the appearances as outlined, there is no way this short snippet contains all the relevant information.

My point was that there wasn't time to get all the facts - a man enters an abortion clinic with a gun, for all we know that particular clinic may have already had an unfortunate accident with a zealous anti abortionist which is not completely unheard of.

So some What if's are relevant and some aren't. I suppose you get to decide what what if is relevant and what what if is not. My what if is really quite simple it was meant to refute your statement that "it takes two to have a child" I wasn't defending the woman, but rather attempting to make this point.
But lets say that this was the case...then the man would never have gotten a gun and tried to go to the abortion clinic. He would have no knowledge of the child, living or dead. If the woman hid the child from the man, knowing that he'd want to know his own child, then she'd be wrong. Even if she knew he didn't want a child, she should still let him know what happened...unless of course, he would hurt the child. In that case, she would be blameless for lying.
Either I am terrible point maker or you missed it completely.
Another point/question you bring up is: where does a baby begin and end? A baby begins when the sperm and egg combine...so it could be said that destroying the fertilized egg is abortion. I have no problem saying that, and that doing so should be illegal as long as killing people is illegal.
Killing people is not illegal, murder is and in society we do make this distinction. War is not illegal, soldiers killing on the battlefield is not illegal, incidences of self defence are not considered illegal, a cop killing a man wielding a gun is not illegal if the evidence points to a clean shoot.
Something is good when it causes the best effects to happen, so if lying causes the best effects to come about, then it's the best thing to do.
So who judges these best effects? Honesty is very important to me - do I lie - its more a matter of omition than outright lying and I would never encourage someone to lie simply to keep the peace.

The rotten tooth was to illustrate that sometimes you need to cause misery to get to the cure. Pulling a rotten tooth often creates some misery.

Oh my, you are so full of contradictions it's really quite funny. Personally I don't think the universe gives jack shit about your silly notions of good and bad, what happens happens and no matter whether its good or bad we must deal with it.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

No the thinker dosen't die in this scenario because he shoots the man with the gun..... was it wrong for his survival instinct to kick in and ensure his longevity? You say that a thinking person shouldn't act out on mere appearances but you yourself are making specific judgements based on the appearances as outlined, there is no way this short snippet contains all the relevant information.
Which is why it was wrong for the thinker to shoot the man...because there's no way this short snippet contains all the relevant info.

Is it wrong for his survival instinct to kick in and for him to ensure his longevity? No, but it shows how deluded he is. If he has a survival instinct it shows that he's not a man of truth, because if the truth is fully experienced in his life what could there possibly be to defend? Think about that for a while.
My point was that there wasn't time to get all the facts - a man enters an abortion clinic with a gun, for all we know that particular clinic may have already had an unfortunate accident with a zealous anti abortionist which is not completely unheard of.
That was my point as well.
So some What if's are relevant and some aren't. I suppose you get to decide what what if is relevant and what what if is not. My what if is really quite simple it was meant to refute your statement that "it takes two to have a child" I wasn't defending the woman, but rather attempting to make this point.
I don't decide but common sense does. Think some more about your "what if" and ask yourself how relevant it was. You say it was meant to refute my statement, "it takes two to have a child", but does it really do that?

I think your ideas about a woman being the one that has the birth was a better attempt at that.
Either I am terrible point maker or you missed it completely.
Well try to make your point again. I didn't miss what was conveyed in words at all...but I obviously missed what was conveyed in your intentions.
Killing people is not illegal, murder is and in society we do make this distinction. War is not illegal, soldiers killing on the battlefield is not illegal, incidences of self defence are not considered illegal, a cop killing a man wielding a gun is not illegal if the evidence points to a clean shoot.
This is mostly true. Yet what's the difference between "killing" and "murder"? Ask yourself if abortion falls under your defintion of "killing" or under "murder".
So who judges these best effects? Honesty is very important to me - do I lie - its more a matter of omition than outright lying and I would never encourage someone to lie simply to keep the peace.
Imagine someone says "I will never drink liquor again" and holds to that code of conduct as tight as they can, never letting go. The situation comes up where a man kidnaps this person's family, and holds them hostage, saying "if you drink x amount of liquor, I will let your family go! If you don't I will kill them!" What should the man do, if he only has these two choices?

It's the same with lying. If something could be better with telling a lie, then holding fast to honesty isn't worth it.
The rotten tooth was to illustrate that sometimes you need to cause misery to get to the cure. Pulling a rotten tooth often creates some misery.
I thought you were talking about the baby as a rotten tooth, and of course that'd be a pretty weird analogy.
Oh my, you are so full of contradictions it's really quite funny.
So point some out, instead of just saying that.
Personally I don't think the universe gives jack shit about your silly notions of good and bad, what happens happens and no matter whether its good or bad we must deal with it.
I'm sure the universe doesn't care, but obviously you do. You value honesty over dishonesty. You're just unconscious of the rest of good and bad.

It's true that what happens will happen, but we have choices to make. If we choose to do bad things, then bad things will happen. If we choose good things, then good things will happen. The universe can do whatever it "wants" to us, whether we choose to be good or bad.
- Scott
Gretchen

The Clinic and other theories

Post by Gretchen »

Scott, you said:

My example, although now in retrospect wasn’t exactly on point, was to give a more specific version of your discussion that could throw the onus onto the thinking man for killing someone with intentions that on the surface may have seemed violent but perhaps not as violent as those of the five persons he threatened.

To me, the thinking man, the “enlightened” thinking man (ETM), not valuing his life would perhaps put himself in between the clinic and the violent man in an effort to stop the violent act. There are several things that could happen, but as Sue stated (and my apologies Sue if I’m off base) cause and effect, such as 1) the guy could beat the ETM senseless and still go in and commit the violent act; 2) he might listen to reason; and even, perhaps, 3) the woman might listen to reason if they both went inside to talk to her more. The ETM may be responsible for saving the lives of those inside the clinic, the possible life of the unborn child, and the life and/or freedom of the violent man. He could also be roadkill.

Scott said:

The "Good man #1" wasn't a good (wo)man. Having a child takes two people, and the woman shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not the man can raise the child.

I’m not sure I am clear as to what you are saying here. It is either a very misogynistic statement or I agree that she shouldn’t be the sole decision maker with regard to who can care for the unborn child. The only side issue is that it is HER body not his, but she knew the consequences going into the union – another post for another time.

[As an aside, I have often wondered why this forum was dedicated to, among other things, all things masculine. Again, my apologies to you Sue if I misinterpreted, but without feminine there can be no masculine. A woman is masculine and feminine as is a man. There is no yin without yang. I suppose some will say that those men who illicit the feminine are weak, but are they? What was Jesus, certainly the most Enlightened example I can think of, but a mixture of the two. He raised the awareness level of the spirituality of women in his day to day life. He recognized the potential of women as thinkers and would-be enlightened ones in the story of Martha and Mary.]

Scott said:
They are innocent if they believe they're doing the right thing...but if what they believe is the right thing, is actually the wrong thing, then of course they're wrong....but they're still innocent. Make sense?

Actually, no. You speak of most of the majority as ignorant, not in a mean spirited way, just masses of folks going a long to get along. To me, ignorance is not an excuse to do what you please because you didn’t know any better. It is up to those that do see past the trees to be willing to step “in between the violent man and the clinic” because the masses are not innocent, not by a long shot. BTW, I am not just talking about abortion, but a universal plethora of issues. Would I have the “balls” (your terminology) to stand there in between the violent man and the clinic, I would hope I would but until it comes down to it, I’m not sure I would. It’s a risky proposition, look what it did to Jesus.

Scott said:

Think of goodness like one kind of cancer, and badness like another. If you feed goodness, it spreads throughout the world. If you feed badness, it spreads throughout the world. Actions usually feed both good and bad, spreading both. Being good is about doing things that spread good the most.

While I understand your line of thinking (and, me personally, doing good is better but not necessarily a thinking man’s answer), reason is the better argument. Cause and effect. Actions and consequences. The violent man may still blow you away because he is without reason at that moment, but all it may take is one spark of reason from the ETM to lower his gun. Your definition of “good” may not be one and the same as another’s.

For example, take a man with an IQ of 85. He is simple but an honest and good hearted man. He may make an assumption that something is bad and thwart all attempts to allow the event to occur because he is not bright enough to see past his own idea of what is right and wrong, good and bad, when, indeed the event was for the betterment of mankind.

In the end, though, goodness or doing good things may be the way you move along on your path to enlightenment. Who’s to argue? Logic and Reason are without a moral compass, they ARE cause and effect, but not necessarily the road to get you where you need to go.

Salud!