Aldous Huxley's Young Archimedes

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
jupiviv

Re: Aldous Huxley's Young Archimedes

Post by jupiviv »

Talking Ass wrote:
Kelly Jones wrote:If you think my views are wrong, then you obviously think yours are right. How are you any less rigid?
The 'obviously' in your sentence seems to have a mathematical value, so obviously what follows ('you obviously think yours are right') must be 'true'. But I can't say that I agree or that I see things quite this way.
So you think that Kelly is wrong to say that you think your views are right - yes or no?

If you followed your philosophy to its conclusion, then it wouldn't be possible to do or say anything, since anything we say or do would be a "rigid position."

Philosophy is actually very much like pure mathematics, since it involves the use of deductive logic. Even the sciences(including the soft sciences) involve the use of deductive logic at a core level. Even the arts involve the use of logic. Any great work of art is also highly logical to some degree, especially music.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Jupiviv writes: "So you think that Kelly is wrong to say that you think your views are right - yes or no? / If you followed your philosophy to its conclusion, then it wouldn't be possible to do or say anything, since anything we say or do would be a "rigid position." / Philosophy is actually very much like pure mathematics, since it involves the use of deductive logic. Even the sciences (including the soft sciences) involve the use of deductive logic at a core level. Even the arts involve the use of logic. Any great work of art is also highly logical to some degree, especially music."

Please consider the following:

From Systems philosophy, Wikipedia page:

Systems philosophy is the study of the development of systems, with an emphasis on design and root cause analysis. Systems philosophy is a form of systems thinking.

Ludwig von Bertalanffy, the founder of systems science, categorized three domains of systemics: the philosophy of systems, the theory of systems, and the technology of systems. This was later modified by Béla H. Bánáthy of the Primer Group to a fourfold model, the philosophy, the science, the methodology and the action of systemics. The philosophy and the science of systems constitute the knowledge of systems; the methodology and the application constitute the action of systems.

According to systems philosophy, there are no "systems" in nature. The universe, the world and nature have no ability to describe themselves. That which is, is. With respect to nature, conceptual systems are merely models that humans create in an attempt to understand the environment in which they live. The system model is used because it more accurately describes the observations.

Because systems are models created only for understanding, the most fundamental property of any system is that a system has an arbitrary boundary. Humans create the boundaries to suit their own purposes of analysis, discussion and understanding. This is true of every conceptual model that was devised through which humans try to understand the universe.

Arbitrary does not mean random or meaningless. Arbitrary merely means without previous dependency. We assume that the Universe is objective, but our experience is tempered by our subjective understanding. We see what we look at.

Systems are further expressed by listing the elements relationships, wholes, and rules associated with that system. Again, this is an arbitrary exercise true of all models humans create.

What are system elements? Elements might be tangible or intangible, real or imaginary. Conceptually, elements are merely terms and definitions. For example, in the system or model of measurement, the arbitrary terms of height, width, and length describe the three dimensions of physical space. Additional elements of that system describe those three fundamental elements: inches, feet, meters, kilometers, etc. However, those elements are meaningless without definitions. Definitions are necessary for all terms, whether or not those terms represent tangible or intangible elements. Definitions and terms are added as necessary to help understand any model.

Relationships are ontologically different from elements, just as the meaning of these words differ from the letters making it up, an element is a thing, a relationship is what a thing is doing. The relationship constrains the system into having at least two elements. Often the relationship has an emergent property, and in most cases these elements and relationships emerge as a whole.

A systemic whole is directly related to the relationships of elements, in that our experience of such a relationship is as a whole. One of the significant characteristics of a system of this type is that there are properties of the whole that cannot be found in the elements. Meaning, for example, is not found in the properties of these letters you are reading.

A rule is anything describing how the elements are related or behave dynamically. Rules describe how a system functions. Rules describe how system elements interact, and those original arbitrary boundaries establish finite limits of how the rules affect the elements. Inches and feet, or meters and kilometers, are elements of the system of measurement, but the relationship of those elements are rules. There are twelve inches in a foot, 1,000 meters in a kilometer, etc.

A system with no elements and no rules—boundaries only—is called a null system.

Change any boundary, element, or rule in any system and a completely new system appears. Observations made in one system might, or might not, hold true for a different system.

I am not a 'philosopher' in the sense that you use the term, and possibly the way that the term is used here universally. I see logic and reasoning as an essential part of life---my life, our lives---but I do not see 'mathematical reasoning', Aristotelian logic, as a method that leads to a comprehensive or holistic understanding of life. Because one will reason about a group of elements, and cannot reason from the position of the 'whole', one is 'playing a game' with a limited group of ideas, elements and concepts, and one should not be confused about the limitations of one's abilities or the 'ultimate truth' of ones projections (on the basis of a limited mental structure). I would suggest that this points to an essential and ever-repeating human problem: the role of intellect in 'grasping', not a local group of facts ('truths'), but the entirety of the meaning of one's existence. 'Meaning' stands outside of any group of facts, as I see it. In no sense does this mean that one should 'abandon reason', but it is my understanding, based in my own experience, that mathematical reasoning, in the face of the grandest existential questions, can become not a helper but a hinderer.

"Philosophy is actually very much like pure mathematics, since it involves the use of deductive logic."

No doubt about that. And there was likely a time, a moment in history, in the evolution of thinking, where it was assumed that since 'mathematics was the musical language in which the creation was sung', it must also follow that there should/must exist a similar 'philosophy', dependent in language, that would reveal or explain an utterly 'true world'. I don't think there is any doubt---except perhaps on the backwater of the GF---that it just doesn't quite work that way. All throughout history, from the Occidental to the Indus River culture to the Chinese, there have been comprehensive efforts to 'reason out' a complete, existential (that is to say religious) position on the basis of the elements in a given system. In modernity, we have seen all the old systems become shattered because, with our material sciences, we have undermined the 'platforms of certainty' that produced and upheld 'ontological certainty'. Now, with this modernity, we are in an 'ontological fix' because we have the most advanced analytical tool for 'grasping' material truths, but no way to piece any of those 'truths' together into a functional, believable, 'ontological whole'.

We lack a mysticism (if you will) that would allow this. In this sense we (you and me and all of us) are in a post-modern quandary where---and I will use Kelly and the QRS as an emblem of this 'problem'---we live in an inner reality of knowledge of our extreme and dangerous uncertainty, in which even the existence and stability of our very selves is doubted and undermined, but desperately seeking and clammoring for a solid ground on which to stand, and to Exist. The 'problem' of the QRS is essentially a post-modern problem, in perhaps a similar way that Chesterton expressed it about Huxley and modernism generally.

The problem as I see it---again Kelly might be an emblem here---is that in its desperation to discover and even conquer an unassailable position within a dangerous sea of uncertainty and 'post-modern angst', the mind contrives, even against the 'body' itself, a group of insistances that it 'inflicts' upon itself. It forces 'the body' to live in a sort of prison-camp that dries up the body (the Self in cohabitation with the physical structure that houses it) and almost parasitically feeds off the body's physical energy. This is an example of the way a (destructive) mental system has acute effects on the self, the body and the living of life, and is 'pathological' in my book. Again, I would describe the QRS position, and certainly Kelly's position (as a female disciple and practitioner of the QRS 'doctrines', as their little experiement on 'Woman'), as extremely post-modernistic and as an example of extremism, missapprehension.

I am also aware that the closer one comes to defining a sensible critique of QRS position and derived positions, the more the rhetorical engines and intellectual contraptions that support it---literally uphold it---will be brought to bear. As I said, if an element of The System, a brick within it, is disturbed, there is danger for the whole System.

And all this your heard from a Talking Ass...

[Kelly, consider this...Real 'ontological angst'.]
fiat mihi
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Talking ass wrote:I see logic and reasoning as an essential part of life---my life, our lives---but I do not see 'mathematical reasoning', Aristotelian logic, as a method that leads to a comprehensive or holistic understanding of life.

I would say that reasoning is essential to understanding life. Reasoning is A=A, which means that things are whatever they are. There is nothing more to understand beyond that. You either accept it as true, or you don't.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

A=A?

Yeah?

The first A is 'what it is' and the second A is also 'what it is', but by no stretch of the imagination could they be seen as 'one and the same'.

Practically speaking there is no A separate from itself that is identical to itself in a classical real world!

Stand back! The GF world will now begin to implode! (*Sirens sound; a great cracking and heaving and aching of the substructure is heard; one feels incipient agony in the pit of the stomach*)

What will y'all do now? Join the gay community? Get a job?
fiat mihi
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

I think it's obvious that you, Alex, enjoy keeping complexity in things, you say that there are very few places where things can be 'simple', rather than complex, such as pure mathematics, but I say that everything can be boiled down to the infinitely simple, if one wants to go there. It's not that almost everything is too complex, it's that people like the mystery of the complexity of everything, by using the idea of complexity as a way to dismiss the idea of knowing something absolutely, and, at the same time, trying to disprove that it's possible to be 100% rational, as to somehow justify that one holds believes that aren't rational.

Firstly, the complexity of things are not a problem, we use catagories(words, definitions), we put the world into boxes, as to reduce the world into very simple ideas. Even if the world is emperically uncertain, then the words themselves are just tools, such as a hammer, which we can use, and the problem is when we think that the words, or the hammer, is certain, and has an ultimate existence and principle, if we regard the hammer as truth itself, as permanent, unchanging, and an ultimate solution, then we fall into error. That's what people seeking theories of everything do, the 'theory' of ultimate truth is just incredibly stupid in itself, since a theory by definition is uncertain. If you avoid this, then nothing in the emperical realm can really surprise you any more than something unexpected happened, and you knew that this was possible, yet perhaps, intriquing. Only when we use theories as something ultimate, do we make mistakes.

Now, that which IS certain, is different ofcourse, but it is applicable to the world, indeed, the reasoning and the truths themselves, are part of the world, and they are indeed very simple. All you have to do is 'want' to remove the rubbish from your eyes and see for yourself, and you can hardly escape the 'simple' underlying mechanics of everything. You'll be surrounded by it, things will not seem a mystery any longer, because you will not fall into the mistake i mentioned earlier, i.e. using theories as something ultimate.

So, i think it's because you don't want to, rather than the fact that things are too complex.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

A.S. wrote: "...but I say that everything can be boiled down to the infinitely simple, if one wants to go there."

You can DO anything you wish. But you do it subjectively. The point is that you cannot 'boil down' perspectives of all people to one 'absolute' perspective. But, you could join a cult where everyone thinks the same way and you could inculcate newcomers to also think in that way.

A=A is useful, except where it is not.

;-)
fiat mihi
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Talking Ass wrote:The first A is 'what it is' and the second A is also 'what it is', but by no stretch of the imagination could they be seen as 'one and the same'.

No, they are the same thing, hence the sign "=" is placed between them. It's quite surprising that you've managed to make such a simple mistake, given the usual complexity and richness of your arguments.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

Jupi writes: "It's quite surprising that you've managed to make such a simple mistake, given the usual complexity and richness of your arguments."

It is A is A. That is Aristotle's Law of Identity.

To say A [is equal to] A is similar, but not the same.

Check out this dude. Would you vote for him?
fiat mihi
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Talking Ass: The first A is 'what it is' and the second A is also 'what it is', but by no stretch of the imagination could they be seen as 'one and the same'.

jupiviv: No, they are the same thing, hence the sign "=" is placed between them.
You seem to be confused. "They" is plural; "thing" is singular: two become one?

What exactly are these As, and what is the sense of identity?[*] Are they the characters on the screen? If so, then we see that the one appears to the left, and the other to the right: clearly these characters are not identical.

In reality, in this statement, the As are pointers: they refer to some thing; another way of looking at it is that they are symbols. This law as stated means simply that the symbol A on the left points to or symbolises the same thing as the symbol A on the right.

This is really a statement of definition as to the interpretation of symbols: it defines that a symbol has a consistent referent when used contemporaneously. It only tangentially reflects on identity, in that if the contemporaneously used symbol consistently refers to the same thing, then that thing must have a consistent contemporaneous identity. Interestingly, the law seems to assume itself: we must assume that the A on the left is the the same symbol as the A on the right.

This is all very well in the classical world, but things get weird in the quantum realm, where identity is not so straightforward.

[*] As Alex rightly points out, the Law of Identity which on GF is commonly represented as "A=A" is not properly written with an equals sign: that's for mathematical equality, not philosophical identity. It is properly written as "A is A", or, symbolically, as "A≡A".

Earlier...
jupiviv wrote:Reasoning is A=A
We all know there's a lot more to it than that. It's also about making connections, realising implications, and constructing arguments (this is not necessarily an exhaustive list).
jupiviv wrote:which means that things are whatever they are.
Tautologies are so... mundane.
jupiviv wrote:There is nothing more to understand beyond that. You either accept it as true, or you don't.
This is a classic example of what Alex refers to as the "binary" thinking of QRStians. There is often no room for meaningful discussion, because it's so often "my way or the highway" with QRStians.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Talking Ass wrote:Jupi writes: "It's quite surprising that you've managed to make such a simple mistake, given the usual complexity and richness of your arguments."

The complexity and richness is poudre aux yeux.
Robert

Post by Robert »

guest_of_logic wrote:QRStians
Cute.

How about:
QRSheads
QRSnicks
QRSbuddies
QRSeneers
QRSers
?
Tomas

Alex = Laird

Post by Tomas »

Robert wrote:
Talking Ass wrote:Jupi writes: "It's quite surprising that you've managed to make such a simple mistake, given the usual complexity and richness of your arguments."

The complexity and richness is poudre aux yeux.
Uh huh. Smoke and mirrors.

Reminds of when the always-lawyerly Bill Clinton testified over what the meaning of "is" .. is...

Alex = Laird

Alex=Laird

Alex is Laird

AlexisLaird
Don't run to your death
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

[I've set up a shelter for displaced QRStians---Robert, you too; Diebert, you are always welcome; Kelly, we have an aggressive females section if you'll promise to sit quietly and don't slurp your soup---for from this moment on the insipid tautological structures of the GF, like the walls of Jericho, will begin to tumble down.]

Robert:

Go to the ale with a QRStian. Wilt thou go? (The Two Gentlemen of Verona: II, v)
Like turk to QRStian: women's gentle brain (As You Like It: IV, iii)
I hate him for he is a QRStian (Merchant of Venice: I, iii)
QRStian, that means to be saved by believing (Twelfth Night: III, ii)

and my fave:

To gaze on QRStian fools with varnish'd faces (Merchant of Venice: II, v)

Jan Kott, in Shakespeare Our Contemporary:
  • "The Fool does not follow any ideology. He rejects all appearances, of law, justice, moral order. He sees brute force, cruelty and lust. He has no illusions and does not seek consolation in the existence of natural or supernatural order, which provides for the punishment of evil and the reward of good. Lear, insisting on his fictitious majesty, seems ridiculous to him. All the more ridiculous because he does not see how ridiculous he is. But the Fool does not desert his ridiculous, degraded king, and accompanies him on his way to madness. The Fool knows that the only true madness is to recognize this world as rational."
fiat mihi
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Robert wrote:Cute.
I think so too. I can't take credit for it, though - it's Alex's. Just like I can't take credit for "house philosophy" from which I derived "house philosophers" - that's Pye's.
Robert wrote:How about:
QRSheads: reminds me of "revheads", which doesn't really seem to fit the philosophical type.

QRSnicks: from "beatnicks", perhaps. Kind of bohemian and artsy - not really a good fit for the house philosophers.

QRSbuddies: no, friendship is not an option. We're all trying to poison one another's hearts here.

QRSeneers: from "buccaneers", perhaps. Not bad - pirates are very manly.

QRSers: plain and simple. Just like Ultimate Truth. The best so far. But not as good as "QRStians".
Robert

Post by Robert »

Alex, you're posting like a drunken old fool. How often now have you projected perceived adolescent excesses on this board? Are you capable of recognising your own?

For one who pretends author, you're (suspiciously) unoriginal in your offerings. Any cunt can copy/paste.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

And I haven't even been drinking...

What is under your anger, Robert?

If you want clarifications about anything I have written, or any ideas I've expressed, just ask. But don't get pissy and waspish.

I wish to suggest, once again: the TBs of GF are girls under cover. Their anger isn't even direct.

Shouldn't it be your object to deal with the substance that has come up here? Since it seems it isn't, allez vous faire enculer.
fiat mihi
Anders Schlander

Talking Ass wrote:A.S. wrote: "...but I say that everything can be boiled down to the infinitely simple, if one wants to go there."

You can DO anything you wish. But you do it subjectively. The point is that you cannot 'boil down' perspectives of all people to one 'absolute' perspective. But, you could join a cult where everyone thinks the same way and you could inculcate newcomers to also think in that way.

A=A is useful, except where it is not.

;-)
You didn't understand what I was saying when you proposed that of joining a cult. A cult is a catagory of thought, but what usually classifies a catagory of thought as a cult is mindless, stupid, herd behaviour, where people aren't thinking, or thinking clearly, and accept lies, and irrational, illogical ideas. Agree? without the conscious aspect, we could call rocks a cult, and without the mindless illogical herd behaviour that centrals on a bunch of lies that everybody accept to merge in the cult, it would just be a group of conscious people.

So, with that said, this is not what im proposing. There is not really an absolute perspective. All perspectives are finite, due to the perspective being of 'something', meaning that the perspective is not infinite, and neither then is that perspective shows. The words point to the truth, but if you see the words that are pointing as if they were absolute, then you've not 'seen' the absolute.

All perspectives, and indeed, all existence, is subjective, how can anything appear outside your mind, by definition, what appears is consciousness, and the subject too is consciousness. Now, if you say that by definition, a subjective mind cannot realize absolute truths, is that an absolute truth in your own subjective mind? or not? What stops a mind from experiencing the absolute, not the absolute perspective, but seeing beyond the perspective, into the absolute itself?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Alex, In the end, tu t'encules toi-même since you yourself treat direct queries on your substance with unwarranted suspicion (re: Kelly's open questions, to which you impose conditioned responses or don't respond at all). Unfortunately you've placed yourself in a compromising position. Either you engage, or you don't. You've apparently chosen not to, despite some titbit-like revelations, yet you only seem ultimately happy here diverting and entertaining yourself (which is why I think of you as a cantankerous and harmless old drunk).
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Alex wrote:It is A is A. That is Aristotle's Law of Identity.

A thing is only ever identical with itself. The law of identity has to use memory, where the identity of a thing is remembered to match itself with itself. There is no identity without memory. A=A is an expression of this.

So A is A, and A is equal to A in a philosophical but not mathematical sense. It's not the same use of "=" as in "1+1=2".

Only 1+1 = 1+1 in a philosophical sense.
In a mathematical sense, the "=" is an attribution sign, inputting a value to "1+1".

It's not complicated.

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Robert wrote:Alex, you're posting like a drunken old fool.
Hang on - you actually read Alex's posts? Jesus H Christ!!! You only have to look at them to see a style over substance person.
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

This, Robert, is part of a standard technique and I have seen it played here many times. What you are doing is playing what honestly seems to me a female game. You want to divert my energies into irrelevancies. Diebert is even more masterful, and more persistant in this than you are. If you want to know what I think about Kelly's queries, read what I wrote to her. You and others here get really upset when people jostle with your sense of rules. I am completely satisfied with every post in this recent group of posts.

A.S: "You didn't understand what I was saying when you proposed that of joining a cult."

It is really the other way around, you don't understand what I mean. The phenomenon of 'cults' is fairly involved, but the existence of groups of people, large or small, who select an often limited idea or reduction of ideas, and create an 'idea system' is not. I am not going to be the one to convince you of this so you'll have to look into it on your own. From what I have seen---am seeing---this ridiculous equation 'A=A' is made the centerpost of a flimsy intellectual edifice that begins to take on characteristics of a cultish, rather closed and exclusive, system. You would do well also to substitute a less charged word, if it pleases you. I think you and others here would like to pretend that it (the core equation) is some sort of intellectual launching point for a voyage into 'wisdom', and I am simply (and politely) saying that I do not see it like that.

"All perspectives, and indeed, all existence, is subjective, how can anything appear outside your mind, by definition, what appears is consciousness, and the subject too is consciousness. Now, if you say that by definition, a subjective mind cannot realize absolute truths, is that an absolute truth in your own subjective mind? or not? What stops a mind from experiencing the absolute, not the absolute perspective, but seeing beyond the perspective, into the absolute itself?"

You're hooked. Your own answer is contained in a psuedo-question. You don't need a yea or nay from me, do you? Sing to the choir, all those notes register in the very fabric of their being...
fiat mihi
Talking Ass

Post by Talking Ass »

It's the marriage of Form and Content, Dan.

The hornets are a-swarmin'! Whose next?
fiat mihi
Robert

Post by Robert »

Dan Rowden wrote:
Robert wrote:Alex, you're posting like a drunken old fool.
Hang on - you actually read Alex's posts? Jesus H Christ!!! You only have to look at them to see a style over substance person.
To be fair, a quick glance is all it takes to read 'em.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Talking Ass wrote:It's the marriage of Form and Content, Dan.
It's a dysfunctional marriage characterized by serious spousal abuse. If only there was someone I could call to report it.
Anders Schlander

Anders: "All perspectives, and indeed, all existence, is subjective, how can anything appear outside your mind, by definition, what appears is consciousness, and the subject too is consciousness. Now, if you say that by definition, a subjective mind cannot realize absolute truths, is that an absolute truth in your own subjective mind? or not? What stops a mind from experiencing the absolute, not the absolute perspective, but seeing beyond the perspective, into the absolute itself?"

Alex the donkey: You're hooked. Your own answer is contained in a psuedo-question. You don't need a yea or nay from me, do you? Sing to the choir, all those notes register in the very fabric of their being...

Well, while we could go back and forth for ages, I'll problably leave the talking ass to it's own for now. You are hooked if you get attached to the words, for those who don't, there is no hook to be hooked on. But i suppose it's not always easy.

edit: added last sentence after 'no hook to be hooked on' + qoute reference ontop of my post.