What is the purpose of life?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Tomas

Re: What is the purpose of life?

Post by Tomas »

-dejavu-
Where are my magic mushrooms?

-tomas-
TA ate them along with his oat/wheatbran/lemongrass brunch.

-dejavu-
My rightful food!

-tomas-
TA will be making an emergency deposit in your backyard two shits from now.

-dejavu-
The season is soon to be! (:D)

-tomas-
TA's fertilizer (shit) is top-of-the-line. They'll be a-sproutin' in no time (:D)

-dejavu-
(Good to see you incidentally!)

-tomas-
Pace yourself, you'll be hallucinating (seeing 3-D) in no time.

PS - You'll have plenty of time to trip when you're dead..
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Tomas ate at Steak n' Shake and tripped on a broom.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-dejavu-
there'll be plenty of time for freemasonry when I'm dead.

-tomas-
Freemasons deal with their own rotten apples :-)

-dejavu-
Facebook has no wine menu!

-tomas-
I''ll tip back a bottle of Boone's Farm apple wine this Friday evening. May even slip a hit of acid
into it. All with the girlfriend's permission of course. Take a trip and never leave the farm :-\

PS - Lingerie beer cans >> http://www.naumdiesel.narod.ru
Don't run to your death
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Just lovin' the breakfast menu at a burger joint.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Drinking beer keeps a man away from dup dup dup.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Steven Coyle wrote:Just lovin' the breakfast menu at a burger joint.
We rarely (4-5 times a year) dine out.

Breakfast? Almost never unless on vacation. And then, it's a timeshare condo whatever.
Don't run to your death
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Steven Coyle wrote:Drinking beer keeps a man away from dup dup dup.
Yes! Beer beats buddha every time.
Don't run to your death
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:The purpose(s) of life:

1. Become as sane and logical as possible personally through wisdom.

2. Use ones unique talents to spread wisdom, science, and attempt to increase the species chances of surviving and evolving to higher planes of consciousness.
Instead of focussing on survival, which is doomed to fail if the species is not rational, one should focus on promoting reason and wisdom. It is only reason that will make survival worthwhile.

Stoicism is actually not a bad idea. The more one focusses on physical needs, the less resilient the mind. The Stoics reaped many blessings from learning to do without.

Tomas

Post by Tomas »

dejavu wrote:It's focusing, not focussing.
Kelly has it correct. American English shortened it to one 's'.

Word Reference >> http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=3458

I grew up with two esses.

PS - Unless she was fo"cussing" out loud :-)
Don't run to your death
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

how to get with transcendentalism: look and know that all is, and prefer
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

dejavu wrote:You and your officialdom.

For you it's one s yes. Live with it. Kelly and I have a choice, and I'm helping her in it, for whatever else she may be, she is definitely not 'correct'!
Won a lot of spelling bees growing up. It's a peeve of mine but let it go mostly on this forum.

I'll be doing a random search of some of your posts and report them to Dan, the administrator. He'll take whatever remedial action would/should be called for.

In the meantime, we should be focussed on helping Kelly find a boyfriend.

PS - Genius - what a beautiful choice!
Don't run to your death
pointexter

Post by pointexter »

What is the purpose of life? The purpose of that question is to ask and re-configure questions about the answers one already has, but does not accept. Such a question assumes that life has a purpose. That assumption is an answer, rejected through reformulating the original question. Re-testing. Searching. Not accepting.

Searching for what cannot be found. Asking unanswerable questions. Repeatedly testing the same wrong answer(s) by reformulating endless variations of the same wrong question(s).
Last edited by pointexter on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

wow.
Tomas

Trippin' the night away!

Post by Tomas »

-dejavu-
Facebook has no wine menu!

-tomas-
Squeeze these for juice >> http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=524936720591

-dejavu-
Acid vs magic mushrooms. No contest.

-tomas-
Girlfriend said "Yes" for a trip tonight. An old cohort just made a batch last week. Get back sometime in the future..
Don't run to your death
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Tomas...write on What is the Purpose of Life while your trippin ...please :)
Tomas

Sober does it, sister.

Post by Tomas »

Kunga wrote:Tomas...write on What is the Purpose of Life while your trippin' ...please :)
On Genius Forum, no can do. Dan would ban me. Thought requires an imagination.

Perhaps on Worldly Matters, though. Even there would be iffy.

I may try sending him a couple hundred (or more) Private Messages when I'm going up..

PS - Orange Sunshine - what a beautiful sunset!
Don't run to your death
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

for scientific purposes....it would be very scientifically interesting to see how the mind works while on acid....last time i dropped, it was Orange Sunshine...glad they still make it : )

You can PM me your acid-trip thoughts on WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF LIFE then... : )
Deadhead

Post by Deadhead »

Talking Ass wrote:Your upbringing, those snapshots with cheap point-and-shoots on summer lawns, your parents, the boys and girls of your neighborhood, the pets you had, primary, secondary school, high school, university, all of it---all the people you have known so far, every vista you've looked over. Visions of fields, clouds, cities, war-zones, a truck rumbling by at 3 on some now distant afternoon. Winter. Spring. Summer. Fall. 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010. The light raking across a field. Sunflowers. Smiling girls. The movies you've seen, the books you've read. All of it. None of it matters now. You are here. Pay close attention to everything that happens to you and around you from this moment on.
I have nothing to add to this discussion other than to say that I found this passage particularly beautiful. I thought you would appreciate that, Talking Ass.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Deadhead wrote:
Talking Ass wrote:Your upbringing, those snapshots with cheap point-and-shoots on summer lawns, your parents, the boys and girls of your neighborhood, the pets you had, primary, secondary school, high school, university, all of it---all the people you have known so far, every vista you've looked over. Visions of fields, clouds, cities, war-zones, a truck rumbling by at 3 on some now distant afternoon. Winter. Spring. Summer. Fall. 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010. The light raking across a field. Sunflowers. Smiling girls. The movies you've seen, the books you've read. All of it. None of it matters now. You are here. Pay close attention to everything that happens to you and around you from this moment on.
I have nothing to add to this discussion other than to say that I found this passage particularly beautiful. I thought you would appreciate that, Talking Ass.
"Talking Ass" has/is registered with three (3) pseudonyms.

He arrived as Alex Jacob (with some stupid macab jabbering) .. said he was leaving.

2. Talking Ass showed up a couple weeks later .. said he was leaving.

A bit later, Alex T. Jacob showed up .. said he was leaving.

Then a bit later .. Talking Ass reappeared .. said he was leaving for good.

Then, Alex T. Jacob reappeared.

Well, you get the deal. He is registered with three accounts. Dunno if the Admin. knows, but what the heck....
Don't run to your death
Alex T. Jacob

Post by Alex T. Jacob »

(C’est la fin des haricots.)(Shhhhhhhhh, Tomas)(I see myself as a sort of Busker. As you see, at least in God's Country, there are quite strict protection for buskers, roving minstrels and the like. One can have one stage name, or many. It is really part of a Sacred Tradition.)
I can't go on. I'll go on.
ezydriver

Post by ezydriver »

Tomhargen wrote:Because, at this juncture in my life, I fail to see one.
There may not be a purpose, or maybe there is: to accept that there may be no wider purpose; something the overwhelming majority just won't accept. Life seems to me to be built upon a hierachy of paradoxes. Perhaps the ultimate paradox is that the meaning of life is that there is no meaning. However, nobody knows either way, therefore it may be worthwhile to remain open minded and just pursue your vocation.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Purpose is utterly connected to identity, like "who am I" or "where did I come from", "which background I belong to".

The process of self-identification is one of attachment: one establishes a relation to what's being identified with. Like "I am a Christian" or "I am a Jew" or "I'm a British aristocrat" but also "I'm a prophet" or "I'm a funny guy" or "I"m in love with you".

This is why those not looking for "purpose of life" often do end up seeking their own background again, exploring their genealogical roots, move back to the village they were born, or just end talking about past times most of the day.

Purpose arises out of ones activity as well: as any complex activity creates the possibility to identify with all the possible outcomes, success, failure, and so on. One attaches to a "cause" and the activity also creates "background" to your person. And with this purposes are born.

"Looking for purpose" in itself is and has always been a misconception from the start. One should wonder: why did I lose it, why is whatever was providing me purpose not providing it anymore. Did I stop something? The sense of purpose comes back very naturally when engaging in activity, seriously and focused, something not too easy but instead quite involved.

When seeking the largest purpose, on cosmic scale, one could find it when starting activities on that same large, cosmic scale. Only then it becomes relevant. Religious people do this all the time of course: they interact with another world, some spiritual cosmology, and by doing that find their rock solid sense of cosmic purpose.

Now it should be fairly easy to see why at certain "junctures", where one is stalling or hesitating, non-engaged, this whole sense of purpose seems to have left. How could it be otherwise?
kriptodanny

Post by kriptodanny »

The only purpose is to experience yourself.
Now..be aware there is someone in you laughing when you say,,I know myself,,.
The universe is laughing...soon you'll be forced to use the toilet again,even so you believe you're a genius,whom knows it all,even the purpose of your existence..but then everybody is a jinny in the bottle here,isn't it?...sometimes I ponder why we talk to each others,since we know it all.
Is this for the fun of it?
Maybe so...
Danny:)
Livelikea rabbit dielikea lion
Manatron

Post by Manatron »

Steven Coyle wrote:how to get with transcendentalism: look and know that all is, and prefer
...and prefer. That's not transcendentalism if "prefer" is a prime p and "refer" is a lost composite. How does one gain factual knowledge without composites or facts ? The access codes are not that easy to crack.
kriptodanny

Post by kriptodanny »

dejavu wrote:Hi Danny,

everybodys a fucking genius around this place! It's like no-one knew thefuck how to show these motherfuckers wjat time it is!
Hahahahaha....well,at least you have a healthy sense of humor Dejavu...I love you too.Maybe this is the secret of life,indeed.
Danny;)
ps..I always knew there was a god,and now I found the truth..it was me,Homer Simpson.
Livelikea rabbit dielikea lion