References on Sex Differences
A popular general introduction to the subject:
- MOIR, A. and JESSEL, D., Brain Sex: the Real Difference between Men and Women, Carol Publishing Group (1991). There are plenty of references to the scientific literature. There is also a 2 or 3 part television series by the same name.
Quotations from Brain Sex
- The Female Brain by Louanne Brizendine, M.D.
My favorite (a broad-based philosophical and psychological approach):
- WEININGER, OTTO. Sex and Character, (Download the English translation).
Geschlecht und Charakter : Eine prinzipielle Untersuchung. Reprint of 1st ed (1903). Munich: Matthes & Seitz, 1980.
Some interesting links:
- Men, Women and Sex Differences: The Attitudes of Three Feminists, Gloria Steinem, Gloria Allred and Belle Abzug.
- Why can't a woman be more like a man? by Kathryn Phillips
- Some places where you can find interesting articles:
- Book review: Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
- Human Behavior and Evolution Society site offers abstracts from past conferences and a list of related sites and resources.
Some books which have recently been recommended to me are:
- GOY, R.W, Brains and Behavior
- POOL, R., Eve's Rib
- SHORT, BALABAN (ed.), The Difference Between the Sexes
- WILSON, G. The Great Sex Divide, Scott-Townsend
- Hormones and Behavior (1996), volume 30, number 4 was a special issue on sexual differentiation.
- RICHARDSON, J., Gender Differences in Human Cognition, Oxford University Press, July (1997)
- BARASH, D., Sociobiology: The Whispering Within, Souvenir Press, London (1980).
- BARDWICK, J.M., The Psychology of Women, Harper Row, New York (1971).
- BEACH, F.A, (ed), Human Sexuality in Four Perspectives, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (1976).
- DE VRlES, G. J., DE BRUIN, J. P, C., UYLING, H. B. M. and CORNER, M. A. (eds.), `Sex Differences in the Brain: The Relation between Structure and Function', Progress In Brain Research, 61, Elsevier, Amsterdam (I984).
- DE WIED, D. and VAN KEEP, P. A. (eds.), Hormones and the Brain, MTP Press Lancaster (1980).
- DURDEN-SMITH, J and DE S1MONE, D., Sex and the Brain, Pan Original, London (1983),
- ELLIS, H., Man and Woman, 8th edition rev., William Heinemann (Medical Books) London (1934)
- EYSENCK, H,J., The Inequality of Man, Temple Smith, London (1973). FOSS, B. M. (ed.), Sex Differences: Psychology Survey No. 1, Allen and Unwin, London (1979)
- FRIEDMAN, R. C. et. al. (eds.), Sex Differences in Behaviour, John Wiley & Sons, New York (I974)
- GARAI, J. E. and SCHEINFELD, A., `Sex differences in mental and behavioural traits' Genetic Psychology Monographs, 77 (1968), I69-199.
- GOLDBERG, S., The Inevitability of Patriarchy, Temple Smith, London (1977).
- GOY, R.W. and MCEWEN, B. S., Sexual Differentiation of the Brain, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, Cambridge, Mass. (1980).
- HARRIS, L. J., `Sex differences in spatial ability: possible environmental, genetic and neurological factors', Asymmetrical Function of The Brain, Kinsbourne, M. (ed.), Cambridge University Press (1978), 405-522.
- HARRIS, L.J., `Sex-Related Variations in Spatial Skills', Spatial Representation and Behaviour Across the Life Span, Liben, L. S. et al. (eds.), Academic Press, New York (1981), 83-112..
- HUTCH1SON, J. B. (ed.), Biological determinants of sexual Behaviour, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1978).
- HOYENGA, K. B. and HOYENGA, K., Sex Differences, Little Brown and Company, Boston (1980).
- HUTT, C., Males and Females, Penguin, London (1972).
- KAGAN, J. and MOSS, H. A., Birth to Maturity, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1962).
- KONNER, M., The Tangled Wing, Holt Rinehart and Winston, London (1982).
- KOPP, C. B. and KIRKPATRICK, M. (eds.), Becoming Female, Plenum Press, New York (1979)
- LEVIN, M., Feminism and Freedom, Transaction Books, New Brunswick, N.J. (1987).
- LLOYD, B. and ARCHER, J. (eds.), Exploring Sex Differences, Academic Press, London (1976)
- LLOYD B. and ARCHER, J., Sex and Gender, Penguin Books, London (1982). MACCOBY, E. (ed.), The Development of Sex Differences, Stanford University Press (1966).
- MACCOBY, E. and JACKLYN, N., The Psychology of Sex Differences, Stanford University Press (1966).
- MCGUINESS, D., When Children Don't Learn, Basic Books, New York (1985).
- NICOLSON, J., Men and Women, Oxford University Press (1984)
- OSBORNE, R. T., NOBLE, C. E. and WEYL, N., Human Variation: The Biophysiology of Age, Race and Sex, Academic Prcss, London (1978).
- OUSTED, C. and TAYLOR, D. (eds.), Gender Differences: Their Ontogeny und Significance, Churchill Livingstone, London (1975).
- PARSONS, J. E. (ed.), The Psychobiology of Sex Differences And Sex Roles, Hemisphere, London ( I980).
- PERLMUTTER, M. and HALL, E., Adult Development and Aging, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1987)
- RElD, I. and WORMALD, E. Sex Differences in Britain, Grant Mclntyre, London (1982).
- REINISCH, J. M. et. al. (eds.), Masculinity and Femininity, The Kinsey Institute Series, Oxford University Press (1987).
- RESTAK, R., The Brain. The Last Frontier, Doubleday and Company, New York (1979).
- ROSSI, A.S. (ed.), Gender and the Life Course, Aldine Publishing Company, New York (1983). Sex, Hormones and Behaviour, CIBA Foundation Symposium 62 (New Series) Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam (1979).
- VELLE, W., `Sex, Hormones and Behaviour in Animals and Man', Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 25, No. 2 (Winter 1982), 295-325.
- WITTIG, M.A. and PETERSEN, A. C. (eds.), Sex Related Differences in Cognitive Functioning, Academic Press, London (1979)
- ANKEY. `Sex differences in brain size and mental abilities: comments on R. Lynn and D. Kimura.' Personality and Individual Differences, 18, 423-424. (1995).
- BENBOW, `Sex differences in mathematical reasoning ability in intellectually talented preadolescents. Their nature, effects, and possible causes,' Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 11(1988).169-232. [Talks about the reasons in variations on math scores between males and females. Reviews a lot of the literature.]
- BIVER et al.. `Sex differences in the the 5HT2 receptor in the living human brain.' Neuroscience Letters, 204, 25-28. (1996)
- CRAWFORD, M. Talking Difference: On Gender and Language. London: Sage. (1995).
- DE LACOSTE-UTAMSING and HALLOWAY. `Sexual dimorphism in the human corpus callosum'. Science, 216, 1431-1432. (1982)
- EVANS, E. The Woman Question. London: Sage. (1994)
- FRANCIS. Evolutionary Neurobiology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 10, 276-281. (1995)
- GUR et al. `Sex differences in regional cerebral glucose metabolism during a resting state'. Science, 267, 528-531. (1995)
- JACKLIN, C.N. The Psychology of Gender. Vols. 1-4. Edward Elgar: Hants. (1992)